Buckle up, this is going to be nerdy.
Kevin Feige is the president of Marvel Studios, and he let something huge slip during an interview with CinemaBlend. "So is this a spoiler for Ant-Man… not really. I’m obsessed with Star Wars. Who’s not? I’m 40 years old. I’m in the movie business. I went to USC. So I’m obsessed with Star Wars — and it didn’t start out as intentional, but it became intentional, including that beat that you referenced," Feige said.
"It sort of happens in every Star Wars movie, but I was sort of looking at it, ‘Okay, is Phase Two our Empire Strikes Back?’ Not really, but tonally things are a little different," he continued.
Feige certainly knows how to bury the lede. Here's the amazing bit: "Somebody gets their arm cut off in every Phase Two movie," Feige said. "Every single one."
It's not just a matter of Vader and Luke losing hands in Star Wars, the arm-chop has become something of a trend in the series. There is the guy starting trouble at the cantina, Count Dooku cutting off Anakin's arm and then Dooku ultimately loses both hands.
It sounds like this didn't start as an Easter Egg in the Marvel films, but once someone noticed it, it sounds like the arm-chopping became something that would be written into each film. Here's a list, courtesy of Slashfilm:
- Iron Man 3: Iron Man slices off Aldrich Killian’s arm during the climactic fight scene.
- Thor: The Dark World: Loki appears to cut off Thor’s hand in an illusion.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Bucky is revealed to have lost his arm during his fall off the train.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Gamora chops off Groot’s arms the first time they meet.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron: We know what this one is, but we won’t spoil it as the film is just starting to open.
- Ant-Man: We don’t actually know how this trend plays in yet.
I'm flipping out, and now it's going to be impossible to watch the rest of the Phase 2 films without waiting for someone to lose an arm.