The long-anticipated Assassin's Creed movie will start shooting in September, according to Michael Fassbender, who stars in the film.
Speaking to ComingSoon.net, Fassbender (Hunger, Inglorious Basterds) was more than a little coy about the story of the movie or even who from the Assassin's Creed universe he'll be playing, but confirmed that film production starts this year.
"You say it's a long time but what I've found — it's all new to me but starting to develop scripts and work on them, they take time," he said in response to the movie's delays. "It just takes time to get a good story together and we really want to do it right. It's exciting. It's going to start this year, we'll be filming in September."
Fassbender added that the complexity and density of the source games has made it a challenge to decide what bits to put into a movie.
"... trying to translate that to an audience, you have to pick key things," he said. "So yes, that is part of it, getting through the density of it and paring down and engaging a simple story."
Earlier this year, Ubisoft said that the movie is slated for a Dec. 21, 2016 release. Ubisoft Motion Pictures announced its partnership with New Regency and distributor 20th Century Fox in October 2012.
Deadline reported last year that Justin Kurzel (The Turning, The Snowtown Murders) would direct. Fassbender has long been linked to the project, as have several writers, including Michael Lesslie (Macbeth), Scott Frank (The Wolverine, Minority Report) as well as Adam Cooper and Bill Collage (Exodus: Gods and Kings).
You can watch the full video interview below.