Del Toro (pictured) told IGN that he and Kojima "are still in touch ... and working into doing something together," although that won't be Silent Hills. Del Toro said that game was "in the planning stages" when it was canceled, although 2014's "playable teaser" P.T. and the presence of The Walking Dead's Norman Reedus had led some to think it was further along.
Del Toro had earlier said he was surprised by Konami's "scorched earth approach. It was not a gentle and ambiguous cancellation."
Konami canceled Silent Hills at the end of April and has since been stripping, without explanation, all mention of Kojima and his studio, Kojima Productions, from its games. P.T. also was removed from the PlayStation Store and it isn't available for redownload for those who had acquired it earlier.
Earlier this month the Japanese-language voice actor for Solid Snake in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, said Kojima Productions "got dissolved."
Konami hasn't commented on its plans other than to apologize for causing anxiety to fans of its games and to insist it will still make video games for consoles and PC. Remarks by the president of Konami Digital Entertainment had suggested the company was de-emphasizing that sector in favor of mobile games and the company's recent push into gambling machines.
It's unclear what Kojima and del Toro could be doing together, but it's likely we'll find out after Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, finally releases on Sept. 1 for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.