Stellaris, "a grand strategy game set in space with emphasis on exploration and procedural storytelling," programmer Henrik Fahraeus announced during the Paradox Interactive Gamescom 2015 press conference today.
Stellaris is "the space game we've been asked to make for the last decade, at least," Fahraeus said. Set against the vastness of space, the strategy game will deliver new stories every time players play.
It's about discovery and exploration, Fahraeus said. Players will send out ships to survey unexplored parts of the galaxy. And then, in the mid-game, players will bump into the aliens, where Paradox fans and hardcore strategy players will find the familiar hardcore tactics Paradox makes in games like those in the Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series.
Paradox launched an official store page alongside the announcement. It touts the following "main features" for Stellaris:
- Discovery Events – Emergent Storytelling.
- Deep & Varied Exploration.
- Enormous procedural star systems, containing thousands of planets.
- Numerous playable species, each with their own traits and engineering styles.
- Vast number of Unique Random Species.
- Advanced Diplomacy system.
- Ship Designer (even civilian ships can be customized).
- Stunning space visuals.