There's a hidden area in one of Destiny: The Taken King's new quests that will put you and your fireteam up against one of the stiffest challenges the game has to offer — but it's not without its rewards. Specifically, the Black Spindle, an exotic sniper rifle that mirrors the popular, insta-reloading Black Hammer from The Dark Below DLC.
You can watch the video above to see where to go to get the Black Spindle today, but be forewarned: You're going to have to take out a lot of really challenging enemies in not a lot of time.
- Run today's Daily Heroic Story, Lost to Light. Bring a full fireteam, preferably with everyone over Light Level 290. Update: The Black Spindle won't show up unless Lost to Light is being run as the Daily Heroic, so either knock this out today or wait for it to come up again in the rotation.
- Near the end of the mission, after opening up the two sealed doors, run all the way past the room with the third locked door, down a hallway past the Hive lamp.
- You should get a warning from your Ghost about a Fallen distress signal. Follow this hallway up to the lift, which is the entrance to the Shadow Thief strike.
- After entering the first room of this strike, you'll have 10 minutes to fight your way to the end. I recommend bringing a Void Heavy Weapon to take out the Taken Wizards, as well as a high impact sniper rifle for the boss.
- Try to get to the final room of the strike with six to seven minutes remaining.
- Have one member of your party in charge of destroying the Taken Blights as quickly as possible, to limit the number of adds.
- Try to keep your party somewhat separate, so the boss' projectiles don't blind all of you at once.
- Have the other two members of your party burn the boss, helping to clear the Blights whenever they spawn.
- After beating the boss, clean up the adds — make sure you manage their numbers the whole fight, our group lost at this step four or five times.
- Receive the Exotic Sniper Black Spindle.