Awesome Games Done Quick is back again, and is in the second day of its seven-day barrage of speedruns, trick runs, and other feats of skill with video games. You can catch all the action in the official live stream here.
Polygon is at the event and will be providing coverage from the floor, but the best and fastest way to catch all the action is to watch it live, of course. Here is the schedule for the next 24 hours, with air times (ET), games, and runners.
Monday, Jan. 4
- 9:01 a.m.: Devil May Cry 3 or 4: Special Edition (PvtCb) 3: Dante NG Normal v 4: Vergil NG Devil Hunter
- 10:41 a.m.: Transformers: Devastation (Halfcoordinated) Any% NG+ Prime Difficulty, 1-Handed
- 11:46 a.m.: Resident Evil HD Remaster (Carcinogen) Jill or Chris Real Survival Best Ending
- 1:41 p.m.: Super Star Wars Striker (Danzel_Glovington) Any% Race
- 2:21 p.m.: The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (R3DninjaJOSH, darbian) Any% Hard
- 2:51 p.m.: Disney's Aladdin (JoeDamilio) Any%
- 3:21 p.m.: The Lion King (TheMexicanRunner) Any% Hard
- 3:51 p.m.: Goof Troop (Yagamoth) any% 1p2c
- 4:26 p.m.: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Zetris) Any% Proud
- 8:06 p.m.: BattleBlock Theater (MechaRichter, PJ) Any% Co-op Insane
- 10:06 p.m.: Ori and the Blind Forest (Grimelios, Ankamius) All Cells
- 11:16 p.m.: Velocity 2X (Nosraef) New Game Any%
Tuesday, Jan. 5
- 1:11 a.m.: Super Time Force Ultra (Tohloo) All Missions
- 1:51 a.m.: Fez (Vulajin) Any%
- 2:31 a.m.: Axiom Verge (GVirus) Any%
- 3:41 a.m.: Hotline Miami (Snowfats) NG+ All Levels
- 4:21 a.m.: Iji (Studio) Any% or Pacifist
- 5:11 a.m.: Hero Core (Dragondarch) any% Normal
- 5:56 a.m.: Teslagrad (frozentrually) Any% Legacy
- 6:41 a.m.: A Hat In Time (Beta) (Shockwve) All Time Pieces
- 7:21 a.m.: Cloudbuilt Midboss (Wobs23) Original22 (Rush Mode)
- 7:46 a.m.: Kero Blaster (draculantern) Any%
- 8:26 a.m.: Snapshot (Nightmare47) Any%
If you're unclear what some of these terms mean, here's a partial glossary.
- 100%: A run with a completion requirement of collecting 100 percent of the items. In games without a percentage counter, the community decides what parts of the game are important enough to count towards 100 percent. Not all games lend themselves well towards a 100% definition.
- Any%: A run with no additional completion requirements; anything goes. The "default" category for speedrunning a game. The term comes from the old school Metroid speedrunning community. Metroid has a percentage counter, while other games may not, but the term stuck around.
- Damage Boost: Intentionally getting hit in order to gain extra speed/height or to pass through enemies/obstacles quickly.
- Death Warp: Intentionally dying to save time, usually by avoiding backtracking.
- Frame Perfect: A technique in a game that you only have a 1 frame window to successfully pull off.
- Low%: A run that completes the game with the bare minimum lowest percentage. This can take a lot longer than an any% run, depending on the game. This is not a worthy category for many games, and is definitely rarer than similar categories such as 100%.
- Sequence Break: Doing something out of order in the intended sequence of events of a game.
- Segmented: A way of minimizing game time by redoing sections of a speedrun over and over.
AGDQ is a production of Speed Demos Archive, whose twice-a-year events raise money for charity. Last year's Summer Games Done Quick pulled in more than $1.2 million for Doctors Without Borders, and Awesome Games Done Quick 2015 took in more than $1.5 million. Last year was the first time Games Done Quick events topped $1 million in donations.