clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

The Assassin's Creed movie will spend most of its time in the present day

A 65/35 split

The film adaptation of the Assassin's Creed series is making many departures from the games, but one of the biggest is its setting: About two-thirds of the movie will take place in the present day, reports IGN.

During a visit to an on-location shoot for Assassin's Creed outside Almería, a Spanish city on the Mediterranean coast, IGN spoke with executive producer Pat Crowley, who said that only about 35 percent of the film will be set in the 15th century. The other 65 percent will focus on Callum Lynch, the 21st-century convict whom Abstergo Industries uses for his DNA memories of his Assassin ancestor, Aguilar.

This is an inversion of the Assassin's Creed games, in which players spend the vast majority of their time in the past, and the modern-day sequences are usually just brief interludes.

"There are certain things that we absolutely want to respect in the game, but we also want to bring new elements to the game," Michael Fassbender, who plays both Callum and Aguilar, told IGN. He did note that "all the stuff that I think people love in the game we've got in here, and we're definitely adhering to it."

A report from the set on the UbiBlog mentioned the filming of a "leap of faith," one of the signature moves seen in the Assassin's Creed games. Director Justin Kurzel was reportedly adamant about doing real stunts and location shoots for the 15th-century segments of the film, filming rooftop chase sequences in Malta in addition to the action that was shot in Spain.

"Why do CGI when you can do it for real?" Kurzel told the UbiBlog. "It's a guy out there for the first time, it's the highest [jump] he's ever done, and that's what's in the film. It's that extra bit of human risk and endeavor that makes it actually possible for a human to be an Assassin."

Assassin's Creed will hit theaters Dec. 21. For more, check out the film's trailer, which debuted last week.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for Patch Notes

A weekly roundup of the best things from Polygon