20th Century Fox is turning up the intensity on the Wolverine franchise for its third installment — the movie will be rated R, said producer Simon Kinberg in an interview with Collider, confirming rumors from earlier this year.
"It is an R-rated movie," Kinberg told Collider. "It's violent, it's kind of like a [Western] in its tone. It's just a very cool, different film."
The rumors of the Wolverine sequel's R rating came out in February, the same month that Fox's R-rated Deadpool premiered with a $132.75 million opening weekend — the highest ever for any R-rated movie.
Kinberg went on to say that production has begun on the movie, which does not yet have a title. He added that series star Hugh Jackman will bring a new take on the character to his third and final Wolverine movie.
"It's a very radical, bold, different Wolverine than you've ever seen in any of these movies," said Kinberg. The 47-year-old Jackman has portrayed Wolverine in seven films, including two prior stand-alone movies, 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine and 2013's The Wolverine.
James Mangold, director of The Wolverine, is returning to helm the untitled Wolverine sequel. The film is set to hit theaters March 3, 2017.