clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Fantastic Four star says a much darker version of the movie exists

New, 39 comments

Adds that the studio will never release it

While talking to The Daily Beast about Warcraft, Duncan Jones' blockbuster adaptation of the Blizzard game, actor Toby Kebbell took a minute to talk about the infamous Fantastic Four reboot.

Kebbell said that the original version of the film they made was much darker, but unfortunately the studio would never release it. Kebbell never expanded on why it would be forever locked away in a vault at Fox, but did reiterate that the version of the movie that hit theaters was not what director Josh Trank had envisioned.

"I tell you, the honest truth is [Trank] did cut a great film that you'll never see," Kebbell said. "That is a shame. A much darker version, and you'll never see it."

Trank's adaptation, which was both panned by critics and a failure at the box office, only drawing in $168 million worldwide, has become a bit of a joke. Since the movie was released last year, each of the film's stars — Kate Mara, Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Bell and Kebbell — have had to answer questions about why they think it went as wrong as it did.

Most of the actors cite problems with the script and the meddling of studio executives, but each have alluded to a different version of the film being made than the one released.

Still, there is some speculation that Fox is interested in doing a sequel — if they can get the original cast back on board. Kebbell said that although they used a stunt double for most of his scenes, he had a ton of fun with the role and was proud of his work within the film. He said the reception of the film hasn't turned him away from blockbusters or the franchise.

Warcraft, Kebbell's latest, hits theaters this Friday.