Disney is re-releasing Star Wars: The Force Awakens on home video already, in a version that is bound to please a small contingent of people and annoy a much larger group of fans. Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D Collector’s Edition is scheduled to be released this November in North America, Disney announced today.
The four-disc Blu-ray set includes four incarnations of the theatrical cut of the film: 3D Blu-ray, standard Blu-ray, DVD and a digital copy. One of the discs appears to be reserved exclusively for bonus features, probably because there are a lot of them. In fact, that will assuredly be a point of contention for Star Wars fans who already bought physical or digital copies of The Force Awakens when it was initially released in April.
The Force Awakens’ 3D Collector’s Edition comes with the bonus features that were available in the original home video version, like a making-of documentary and four minutes’ worth of deleted scenes. But the package also offers a bunch of new bonus material that wasn’t included in the previous release, such as additional deleted scenes and — here’s the big one — audio commentary from director J.J. Abrams.
Here’s the full list, straight from Disney, of the extras that are exclusive to the 3D Collector’s Edition:
- Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
- Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens alive through the matching of sound to action.
- Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of Star Wars: The Force Awakens moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
- Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn’t make the film’s final cut.
- Dressing the Galaxy – Costume designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
- The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
- Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Disney also noted that all of that new bonus material is available only in the physical version of the 3D Collector’s Edition, and that digital bonus features "may vary by retailer." The company did not announce a price for the package.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D Collector’s Edition will be released Nov. 15 in the U.S. and Canada. That’s about one month before the first Star Wars Anthology film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, hits theaters — it premieres Dec. 16. You can see a brief trailer for the 3D Blu-ray package below.