Awesome Games Done Quick, the annual celebration of speedrunning, playing weird games quickly and quick games weirdly, is back and kicks off tomorrow with a pre-show at 11:30 a.m. ET.
AGDQ 2017 runs nonstop for a full week — the last event is 11:15 p.m. on Saturday. Jan. 14,, followed by the traditional finale at 1:10 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 15.
We will carry the livestream in this post (and others as the week goes on) but, as always, Games Done Quick's Twitch page is here, and the Speedrun subreddit will also catalog and archive on-demand videos of runs that may have happened while you slept.
Here is the first 24 hours of programming, with air times (ET), games, runners, and the conditions of the run:
Sunday, Jan. 8:
- 11:30 a.m.: Pre-Show: (SpikeVegeta, feasel, Golden, Blechy, Darkman78)
- 12:00 p.m.: Ape Escape 2 (iongravirei) Any%
- 1:10 p.m.: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (benstephens56) All Dungeons
- 3:20 p.m.: Borderlands 2 (Shockwve, Amyrlinn) 2 Player Co-op
- 5:30 p.m.: Psychonauts (demoli) Any%
- 6:37 p.m.: Shovel Knight (Smaugy, MunchaKoopas) Any%
- 7:39 p.m.: Mega Man (WhiteHat94, Endy, dxtr, coolkid) All Stages
- 8:14 p.m.: Super Mario Kart (KVD, Sami Cetin) Time Trial Race
- 8:56 p.m.: Quake (coolkid) Any%, Easy
- 9:26 p.m.: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Jaguar King) European Extreme
- 11:16 p.m.: Devil May Cry (Maxylobes) New Game, Normal
Monday, Jan. 9
- 12:31 a.m.: Resident Evil Zero HD Remaster (Pessimism) Wesker Mode
- 1:57 a.m.: Silent Hill 4: The Room (AnEternalEnigma) Any%
- 3:22 a.m.: F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (Overfiendvip) Low Difficulty
- 4:20 a.m.: Hitman: Blood Money (Saintmillion) Professional, Silent Assassin
- 5:10 a.m.: The Turing Test (Azorae) Any%
- 6:05 a.m.: Hyper Princess Pitch (WanderingMind, MBM) Combat Lady, All Stages
- 6:30 a.m.: Hydra Castle Labyrinth (ForOhFor) Any%
- 7:15 a.m.: Kalimba (DevilSquirrel) Inner World
- 7:45 a.m.: New Super Hook Girl (bjw) Any%
- 8:05 a.m.: Valdis Story: Abyssal City (RiskyCB) Any%
- 9:00 a.m.: SEUM: Speedrunners from Hell (MattyIce3131) Speedrun Mode, All Levels
- 9:35 a.m.: Salt and Sanctuary (Grimelios) All Bosses
- 10:27 a.m.: Magic Sword (Pro_JN, yelsraek) Normal Beginning
- 11:05 a.m.: Joe and Mac 2 (dram55) Any%
- 11:36 a.m.: Congo's Caper (Omnigamer) Any%
If you're unclear what some of these terms mean, here's a partial glossary.
- 100%: A run with a completion requirement of collecting 100 percent of the items. In games without a percentage counter, the community decides what parts of the game are important enough to count towards 100 percent. Not all games lend themselves well towards a 100% definition.
- Any%: A run with no additional completion requirements; anything goes. The "default" category for speedrunning a game. The term comes from the old school Metroid speedrunning community. Metroid has a percentage counter, while other games may not, but the term stuck around.
- Damage Boost: Intentionally getting hit in order to gain extra speed/height or to pass through enemies/obstacles quickly.
- Death Warp: Intentionally dying to save time, usually by avoiding backtracking.
- Frame Perfect: A technique in a game that you only have a 1 frame window to successfully pull off.
- Low%: A run that completes the game with the bare minimum lowest percentage. This can take a lot longer than an any% run, depending on the game. This is not a worthy category for many games, and is definitely rarer than similar categories such as 100%.
- Sequence Break: Doing something out of order in the intended sequence of events of a game.
- Segmented: A way of minimizing game time by redoing sections of a speedrun over and over.
Awesome Games Done Quick is a production of Speed Demos Archive, whose twice-a-year events raise money for charity. Last year’s Summer Games Done Quick raised $1.3 million for Doctors Without Borders, and Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 raised $1.2 million for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, the third straight year AGDQ has gone over $1 million in donations.