Ten world record holders are on the schedule for the next 24 hours of Summer Games Done Quick (noon today until noon Wednesday). Highlights include two blocks showcasing Castlevania and Metroid, and a long run through The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword to carry viewers through the wee hours on the third day of the midsummer speedrun classic. You can watch all of the action live, right here.
- At 12:01 p.m. and 12:27 p.m., zallard1 in Splatterhouse (Any%) and then Splatterhouse 2 (Any%). zallard1 set records in both games four years ago, then tuned up two weeks ago with new marks that shaved three seconds off his Splatterhouse time and two seconds off Splatterhouse 2.
- At 2:07 p.m., Klaige in Castlevania: Bloodlines (John Morris or Eric Lecarde, Any%, Expert difficulty).
- At 2:52 p.m., darrenville in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (All Bosses).
- At 3:45 p.m., vaxherd in Dragon Warrior 3 (Any%).
- At 6:01 p.m., Zaxon96 in Sonic Spinball (Any%). This game has seen a flurry of speedrun activity over the past three months, much of it Zaxon’s. Over a one-week stretch in March he took first place five times, then solidified his hold on No. 1 with a 9:37 run on April 7.
- At 8:14 p.m. is a real treat: a four-way race in Metroid: Zero Mission (100% Normal) featuring Dragonfangs, samthedigital (No. 3), john_unfil (No. 2) and CScottyW (No. 1). Five days ago CScottyW tightened his grasp on No. 1 with a run that took 13 seconds off his previous best (in-game time).
- At 11:49 p.m., oatsngoats in Super Metroid (100% Map Completion). oatsngoats returned to Super Metroid about a year ago after a long time away, and steadily improved over the past several months to the current No. 1 of 1:20:40 in real time, 52 minutes flat in-game time.
- At 8:41 a.m. (Wednesday, June 27), peaches in Kid Chameleon (4 Boss).
- At 9:21 a.m., SilverDile in Wiz n’ Li: The Frantic Wabbit Wescue (Wizard).
- At 9:51 a.m., Omnigamer in Sylvan Tale (100%).
Other runs of note:
- At 9:44 p.m., Mr_Shasta runs Metroid Samus Returns (Any%). Mr_Shasta was the No. 1 record holder back in October for a new game that hasn’t seen many runs. He was since knocked from that perch, but rallied back to take No. 3 as of five days ago.
- At 3:18 a.m., Gymnast86, who ran The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D on Sunday, returns to entertain us with five hours set aside for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Any%).
- At 11:07 a.m. (Wednesday), Yutori takes on Super Monkey Ball 2 (story mode, all levels). Yutori was No. 1 as of four months ago, but that was snatched away by Geoff on March 31.
As always, Summer Games Done Quick is a round-the-clock affair, so you may have missed something overnight. For that, we recommend checking out the continually updated VOD thread at r/speedrun and the official Games Done Quick channel at YouTube.
Summer Games Done Quick 2018 benefits Doctors Without Borders. Last year, this event raised a record $1.7 million for its philanthropy. To give, visit this donations page.