The fourth 24 hours of Summer Games Done Quick packs in 33 events, the most of any day so far. Highlights today include six races, including two involving the world No. 1s and No. 2s (and a third involving No. 1, 2 and 3); speedrunner extraordinaire TheMexicanRunner in Cuphead; and, yes, The Noid. You can watch all of the action live, right here.
TheMexicanRunner (real name Piotr Kusielczuk) is known for speedrunning the full, 714-game library of Nintendo Entertainment System games. At Awesome Games Done Quick 2018 six months ago, he did a speedrun of the notoriously impossible Battletoads (where he has five of seven category No. 1s on speedrun.com). Cuphead seems to be his new obsession, where he has 25 world records (Cuphead’s different modes and difficulties create a lot of combinations). TheMexicanRunner takes on Cuphead (all flags, regular difficulty, and legacy — i.e., any version before the current patch) at 10:48 p.m.
Yo Noid 2: Enter the Void, a fan-made PC game (which began at a game jam) that launched in August last year, shows up at 5:35 a.m. during an eclectic block of games. The runner, AlucardX60, isn’t a No. 1 record-holder but is a moderator for the game on speedrun.com. At any rate, it’s a chance to see the highly unanticipated sequel to Capcom’s classic 1990 advergame for the NES.
The top-flight races today and tomorrow morning include Contra: Shattered Soldier at 2:12 p.m., featuring Nos. 1 through 3 in that game (Any%, all stages) and at 10:43 a.m. tomorrow, The Legend of Zelda in a low% race between Nos. 1 and 2. There is also a race in Strider that doesn’t involve anyone in the top 3, but should be enjoyable to watch. That is at 10:23 a.m. on Thursday.
Overall, there are 18 world record holders in 19 events over the next 24 hours (PeteDorr is running twice). That means a long list of all-stars from noon today until noon tomorrow. They are:
- At 12:36 p.m., PeteDorr in Spider-Man: Web of Fire (Beat the game).
- At 12:59 p.m., Ninjaofsorts in Spider-Man & Venom’s Maximum Carnage (Any%).
- At 1:31 p.m., LRock in Batman Returns (Mania).
- At 2:12 p.m., Aquas (1st), TheDrifter18 (2nd) and Crak Attak (3rd) in Contra: Shattered Solider (Any%, all stages, race).
- At 2:57 p.m., SNeaky in High Hell (Any%).
- At 4:47 p.m., Psych0sis in Thief: The Dark Project (Any%, Normal).
- At 7:01 p.m., Zmaster91 in The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (Any%).
- At 9:28 p.m., zeldacubed1 in Super Mario 3D Land (Warpless).
- At 10:48 p.m., TheMexicanRunner in Cuphead (All flags, regular, legacy).
- At 1:13 a.m. (Thursday, June 28), TGH (1st) and yoshipro (2nd) in Celeste (Any%, race).
- At 2:54 a.m., Konasumi in Miner Ultra Adventures (Any%).
- At 3:19 a.m., GNU Order in Roundabout (esports speedrun mode).
- At 3:40 a.m., LifeL1ke in Live (Beat the game).
- At 4:31 a.m., PeteDorr in Club Drive (All races, 2 laps).
- At 7:47 a.m., SecksWrecks in Gift (Any%).
- At 8:07 a.m., belthegor in El Viento (Any%).
- At 8:59 a.m. Zic3 in Titan Souls (Hard mode, 100%).
- At 9:33 a.m., TheRealVincentio in A Story About My Uncle (Any%, no fling).
- At 10:43 a.m., LackAttack24 (1st), beeteas and Eunos (2nd) in The Legend of Zelda (low%, race).
As always, Summer Games Done Quick is a round-the-clock affair, so you may have missed something overnight. For that, we recommend checking out the continually updated VOD thread at r/speedrun and the official Games Done Quick channel at YouTube.
Summer Games Done Quick 2018 benefits Doctors Without Borders. Last year, this event raised a record $1.7 million for its philanthropy. To give, visit this donations page.