Just five events will close down the last 18 hours of Summer Games Done Quick 2018. The last game to run tonight will be puwexil in Final Fantasy 6. Other runs include a six-player (two teams of three) race on Super Mario Maker where the competitors have no idea what kind of level they’re getting.
You can watch it all live, right here:
Summer Games Done Quick 2018 has so far raised about $1.2 million for Doctors Without Borders, about $500,000 behind last year’s total. There’s still half a day to go, and there’s a $150,000 bounty still pending that, if met, will replace this evening’s final setup block (at 6:36 p.m.) with an Any% run of Super Mario Odyssey by NicroVeda. NicroVeda was, until three days ago, the world record holder in that game and category. (The new No. 1 is Suisaiga of Belgum, in 1:02:15).
Other bonus challenges still open include several for the evening’s climactic Final Fantasy 6 run, including forcing GDQ staffer Sumichu to perform the game’s famous aria. Here it is, as performed by the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra (conducted by Charles Hazlewood) and vocalist Sabina Zweiacker. No pressure, Sumichu. No pressure.
And here are the remaining events from noon today until the finale show at 3:03 a.m. tomorrow morning.
- At 12:11 p.m., eddaket in New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Warpless). eddaket is sixth in this category.
- At 1:21 p.m., SnowieY101 in Undertale (True pacifist ending). Snowie’s 1:24:38, set two months ago, is the world record for this category.
- At 3:16 p.m., Carl Sagan, grandpoobear, GlitchCat7, failstream, jaku and Cliffy in Super Mario Maker, 3-on-3 blind level race. Because of the random nature of this event, record times don’t really mean much here, but all six are accomplished speedrunners.
- At 4:56 p.m.: Runnerguy2489 takes on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- At 6:36 p.m., if the donation goal is met, NicroVeda (world No. 2) runs Super Mario Odyssey. It’s the third-most run game on speedrun.com (current count) and at one point was the most-run game, despite launching at the end of October 2017.
- At 7:53 p.m., puwexil in Final Fantasy 6. (Glitchless Any%). Puwexil was world No. 1 until ffmonk9 took the record five months ago. SGDQ has booked 7 hours for this one; a world-class time is usually in the six-hour range.
- At 3:03 a.m. Summer Games Done Quick wraps up with its finale show looking back on the best runs and the memories and friendships made at this event. Next on the schedule is Games Done Quick Express (GDQx) at TwitchCon 2018 beginning Oct. 26 in San Jose.
As always, Summer Games Done Quick is a round-the-clock affair, so you may have missed something overnight. For that, we recommend checking out the continually updated VOD thread at r/speedrun and the official Games Done Quick channel at YouTube.
Summer Games Done Quick 2018 benefits Doctors Without Borders. Last year, this event raised a record $1.7 million for its philanthropy. To give, visit this donations page.