Eagle Dynamics, the makers of DCS World, DCS A10-C Warthog and Lock On: Modern Air Combat, has announced a brand new game. Called simply Modern Air Combat, it will include 14 flyable aircraft spanning conflicts during the Korean War to the modern day. The title is expected to launch this fall for PC and be compatible with modern virtual reality devices.
Today’s announcement comes with a stunning in-engine trailer, which we’ve embedded above.
Modern Air Combat will include single-player and multiplayer experiences out of the box, and will also come with its own mission generator. As with DCS World’s recent recreation of the World War II-era Normandy coastline, Eagle Dynamics’ technology is also capable of simulating hundreds of ground vehicles at the same time.
“As with Lock On and the Flaming Cliffs series, MAC is focused on east and west counterpart aircraft,” said Eagle Dynamics in today’s announcement, “and this includes such legendary match-ups such as the Eagle and Flanker, Warthog and Frogfoot, Sabre and MiG-15bis, and the F-5E and MiG-21bis. MAC is a blend of both east and west, and this allows you to re-fight historical conflicts from the Korean War to today, and to create your own ‘what-if’ missions.”
Maps will include the Caucasus, the Persian Gulf and Nevada.
The announcement said that Eagle Dynamics is paying a lot of attention to the scalability of the game’s multiplayer aspects, but no parameters of limitations on the number of players was discussed.
The full list of aircraft includes the following:
1. F-15C Eagle. US air superiority fighter with 104 kills to 0 losses record.
2. Su-27 Flanker B. Russia’s dominate heavy air superiority fighter.
3. Su-33 Flanker D. The Russian navy’s carrier capable version of the Flanker B.
4. Flanker B+. The Chinese version of the Flanker B, with R77 active homing missiles.
5. MiG-29 Fulcrum A. Russia’s widely exported light air superiority fighter.
6. MiG-29S Fulcrum C. The modernised version of the Fulcrum with latest weapons and defences.
7. A-10A Warthog. The USAF’s massively successful ‘flying tank’, designed to kill ground targets.
8. Su-25A Frogfoot. Russia’s primary ground attack and close air support jet.
9. Su-25T Frogfoot. A modernised version of the Frogfoot with enhanced sensors and weapons.
10. F-86F Sabre. America’s iconic top fighter during the Korean War.
11. MiG-15bis Fagot. Russia’s 1st generation jet fighter that opposed the Sabre over Korea.
12. F-5E Tiger II. The US light-weight fighter that has been operational since the Vietnam War and operated by over 30 countries.
13. MiG-21bis Fishbed. Russia’s most successful fighter of the Vietnam war. A supersonic fighter that closely matches the Tiger II.
14. L-39ZA. A Czech designed, two seat trainer that was then adapted to a light attack aircraft.
For a taste of the type of in-cockpit simulation that the team at Eagle Dynamics is capable of, check out last year’s trailer for their F/A-18C module for DCS World.