Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers? Lisa Frank or Pokémon? Those were the hard choices we faced as children deciding on a new backpack for school. Now as nerdy adults, if you want to add some personality to your everyday bookbag, the choices are a little more complicated. When it comes to pop culture-inspired bags and backpacks, it can be hard to find options that don’t make you look like a fourth grader.
Of course, both fashion and fandom are in the eye of the beholder, but, at least in the Polygon office, finding a cute, nerdy and (somewhat) professional bag is hard. From subtle Star Wars ships to splashy Studio Ghibli illustrations, we’ve rounded up our favorite grown-up backpacks, tote bags and yes, one fanny pack.
Whether you’re heading back to school, prepping for a convention or just looking for something fun to haul your laptop in, check out the gallery for backpacks and bags with an adult take on the classic character backpack.
- Floral X-Wing Millennium Falcon Backpack, $40 Loungefly
- 8-Bit Rainbow Backpack, $39.99 ThinkGeek
- Gudetama Vegan Leather Tote, $24.99 ThinkGeek
- The Incredibles Fanny Pack, $16.03 Her Universe
- Sailor Moon Luna Mini Backpack, $47.92 BoxLunch
- Rick and Morty Maze Backpack, $31.92 BoxLunch
- R2-D2 Faux Leather Tote, $69.99 ThinkGeek
- Kiki’s Delivery Service Tote, $55.92 Loungefly
- Spider-Gwen Backpack, $59.99 ThinkGeek
- Floral Deathly Hallows Duffle, $50 Society6