Update: The presentation is over, but you can still watch the archive above. There was a surprising amount of stuff announced in a short period of time, including:
- the reveal of five new characters: Castlevania’s Simon Belmont, King K. Rool from Donkey Kong Country, and echo fighters Chrom, Dark Samus and Richter Belmont;
- 103 stages in total, including a feature that allows you to “morph” from one to another mid-fight;
- several new modes, including a multiplayer tourney and an in-depth training area;
- the option to listen to the game’s 900-plus songs while you’re on the go;
- a bunch of new Pokémon and Assist Trophies, including a memorable Monster Hunter enemy.
Nintendo first teased Super Smash Bros. Ultimate during a memorable Nintendo Direct back in March of this year, but it wasn’t until E3 that we were given more information about the game. That means it’s just about time for some more news before its Dec. 7 launch on Nintendo Switch.
Nintendo broadcasted a special live presentation dedicated to the game on Wednesday, Aug. 8, at 7 a.m. PT/10 a.m. ET. The show focuses on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and will feature new information on the game from director Masahiro Sakurai. You can watch the presentation at the top of this post.
The question is, after E3, what news could there possibly be? Nintendo has already shared a treasure trove of information about the game, including much of its lineup of characters. I’m not sure what else needs to be done to sell the game after we saw footage of four Ridleys at the same time. But who knows? More information about online modes, or even surprise characters, are a possibility.
There’s only one way to find out.