The sixth day of Awesome Games Done Quick includes just 10 events, largely because of a huge Final Fantasy 9 run scheduled for late this evening. That and two other games will be played by speedrunners currently ranked No. 1 in the world in these events. But the last full 24 hours for AGDQ 2019 is more about category extensions, strange attempts and, of course, TASBot.
TASBot (Tool-Assisted Speedrun Bot) is a machine-learning program that plots the theoretical fastest route through a game — a performance that would be beyond human capability. Two demonstrations kick off prime time tonight.
Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 started Sunday and wraps up Saturday. You can watch all of it live, right here.
- 12:34 p.m. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (KZ_FREW). They’re not in the top 3, but it’s a classic, and if you’re wondering, record time is 50:20 with loads.
- 1:51 p.m. Pokémon Gold (Gunnermaniac3, pokeguy84). Any% glitchless, in a race on Game Boy. These two are currently No. 1 and No. 2 in the world. In the past, pokeguy84 has taken the record from Gunnermaniac3 once (September 2017) and Gunnermaniac3 has overtaken pokeguy84 twice (October 2017 and August 2018). Two runners enter, one runner leaves! OK, both runners leave. But you get the idea.
- 1:51 p.m. Final Fantasy 4 — Free Enterprise (Neerrm, riversmccown, Khobahi, Obdajr). League Match Flags on Super Nintendo. This, according to the game’s official site, “is an open-world ROMhack and scavenger hunt randomizer for Final Fantasy 4 for the SNES.” riversmccown is second in two categories in Final Fantasy 4 .
- 8:06 p.m. TASBot plays mari0 (Masterjun and Noahkiq). TASBot here is playing a mashup of Super Mario Bros. with a Portal gun.
- 8:36 p.m. TASBot plays Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (dwangoAC). VB__ ran Aria of Sorrow back on Monday; now TASBot is gonna show us how to really do it.
- 9:36 p.m. Super Mario Sunshine (PangaeaPanga, SniperKing). They’re playing “1v1 Lockout Bingo” here on GameCube.
- 11:18 p.m. Final Fantasy 9 (Tojju, Muttski and Luzbelheim). Any%. Settle in for the longest single run of the week. Luzbelheim is world No. 1 in FF9 Any% at 8:44:09. Tojju is 17th and Muttski 19th.
- 9:03 a.m. (Saturday) Puyo Puyo Tetris (Scottobozo). Extra stages 100% on PC. Scottobozo has been No. 1 since July, improving the record four times since.
- 9:53 a.m. Luigi’s Mansion (HDlax1). No out-of-bounds, GameCube. HDlax1 is eighth in this event, and was briefly world No. 1 in February 2017.
- 11:18 a.m. I Wanna Kill the Kamilia 2 (BBF). Any% on PC. BBF is second in this run, but was No. 1 from October until a month ago.
As always, Awesome Games Done Quick is a round-the-clock affair, so you may have missed something overnight. For that, we recommend checking out the continually updated VOD thread at r/speedrun and the official Games Done Quick channel at YouTube.
Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 benefits the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Last year, this event raised a record $2.2 million for its philanthropy. To give, visit this donations page.