Destiny 2’s newest mode drops tomorrow. With the launch of Season of the Drifter, Gambit will get an offshoot mode called Gambit Prime. Bungie released a trailer for the mode, detailing the range of armor and perks players can earn.
Unlike traditional Gambit, there will only be one round of Gambit Prime. The final boss — known as the Primeval — will also be much harder, requiring team coordination to defeat it. Another major change: Sending more than one Blocker to the enemy side will start to drain that team’s bank of Motes.
Gambit Prime also introduces more concrete roles for players to lean into, and armor sets that come with unique perks for Gambit Prime.
The Reaper set is green by default and will help players kill enemies big and small with its four perks:
- Weaken high-value targets
- Generate special ammo on multi-kills
- Motes stay on the ground longer
- Killing powerful enemies recharges grenade
The Sentry set is yellow by default and will help players counter invaders and protect their bank:
- Killing multiple enemies buffs damage against Taken
- The bank gives health regeneration
- Invaders are marked for allies
- Allies in the Well of Light are buffed
The Collector set is white by default and will help players collect motes and send blockers:
- When the Collector dies, they’ll drop their Motes
- Motes grant an overshield
- Generate ammo when depositing Motes
- Hold up to 20 Motes and send a giant Blocker
The Invader set is red by default and will help players hunt enemy players and steal motes:
- Generate ammo while invading
- Invasion overshield is more powerful
- Killing enemy Guardians gives bonus damage
- Lock down and drain Motes while invading
All of these sets will have hand-crafted color alternatives in the game’s various color blind settings, according to Bungie’s blog last week.
Players can unlock these perks over time through one of Season of the Drifter’s other new modes: The Reckoning. Bungie hasn’t revealed much about how players will advance their gear through Gambit Prime and The Reckoning, but it will require them to jump between both modes.
Gambit Prime and The Reckoning requires players to own both Destiny 2: Forsaken and the Annual Pass, and releases with the Season of the Drifter on March 5.