Enemies in Sekiro have two bars above their head. The reddish one at the top is represents Vitality. The yellow one at the bottom represents Posture. In this guide, we’ll show you what they mean and how to exploit them.
Vitality and Posture are interrelated status. The current status of one has an effect on the other.
Vitality is health. When that meter drains to empty, your enemy is dead.
The lower Vitality is, the slower Posture recovers.
Posture is a little more complicated. Its meter builds up, not down. It also means and does two things:
- Governs the ability to block. That’s why it’s called Posture. You can hold your (blocking) posture as long as your meter doesn’t fill up.
- When your enemy’s posture meter fills up, the next unblocked attack will automatically become a one-hit kill Deathblow.
Deflecting (blocking an enemy’s attack just before it lands) decimates enemy Posture.
Posture recovers faster when blocking.
How it works in practice
Blocking enemy: Posture damage
Unblocking enemy: Vitality and Posture damage.
Deathblow: Vitality damage
Beginner’s guides and explainers
- Beginner’s guide to Sekiro
- Skills explainer
- Vitality, Posture, Deflects, and Deathblows
- Prayer Beads, Necklaces, and leveling up Vitality and Posture
- Battle Memory and leveling up Attack Power
- Introduction to Rot Essence and Dragonrot
- How to find and use the Sakura Droplet
- Every Prosthetic Tool location and how to use them
- Every ending and how to get them
Tips and advice
- 11 tips to get you started in Sekiro
- The best skills to buy in Sekiro
- The best items to buy in Sekiro
- Pot Noble Harunaga merchant
- No, you don’t have to restart your Sekiro game due to Dragonrot
- Evading the giant snake in the Underbridge Valley
- How to get the Shinobi Firecracker Prosthetic Tool early
- How to defeat the Ashina Castle bell enemy
- Where to find the Sabimaru Prosthetic Tool
- How to fly the kite in Senpou Temple
- Hidden rooms, secret doors, and shinobi shortcuts
- Every Gourd Seed location
- Every Prayer Bead location
- Ashina Outskirts boss guides 7
- Ashina Castle boss guides 7
- Abandoned Dungeon boss guides 1
- Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo boss guides 3
- Sunken Valley boss guides 3
- Ashina Depths boss guides 3
- Fountainhead Palace 2
- Hirata Estate boss guides 4
The next level of puzzles.
Take a break from your day by playing a puzzle or two! We’ve got SpellTower, Typeshift, crosswords, and more.
Sign up for the newsletter Patch Notes
A weekly roundup of the best things from Polygon