Borderlands 3 has been out for almost a week and Gearbox Software is taking steps to keep the game balanced. As part of that, the developer released a hotfix on Thursday afternoon to address a few issues. The update reduces the amount of loot dropped in Mayhem Mode (the high risk, high reward mode with amped-up difficulty), reduces the damage on certain guns, and removed a few fan-favorite spawn spots.
The most controversial of these updates is likely to be the reduced loot. While some people felt that the game was a little too generous with its loot, others are likely to miss the frequent rewards. The reduced drop rate only applies to Mayhem Mode, and Gearbox didn’t give exact drop rates in the notes, but this patch reduced the loot from certain encounters as well. The Chupacabratch boss, who was once one of the go-to spots for farming, no longer drops as much loot as he once did, and the areas of Eden-6 that once frequently spawned Loot Tink enemies no longer spawn them quite so often.
Also among the changes in this hotfix was a nerf to both the E-Tech shotgun, which lost a bit of its elemental damage, and the sticky damage of Torgue shotguns. Thankfully, this patch also addresses a few bugs, including enemies that were once over-leveled and a few New-U stations that weren’t activating when they should have been.
For a full look at all the changes from Thursday’s hotfix, refer to the notes below.
Borderlands 3 9/19 hot fix patch notes
- Yellow paint has been added to Ambermire to mark a more obvious path to complete the Sabotage Crew Challenge.
- The New-U Station in front of the Halcyon Suborbital Spaceport (used during the “Space-Laser Tag” Mission) in the Meridian Metroplex now has a larger activation range.
- The New-U Station in front of Titian’s Gate (used during the “Atlas, At Last” Mission) in the Meridian Metroplex now has a larger activation range.
- The first Guardian a player runs into during the “Beneath the Meridian” mission is no longer over-leveled.
- The Eridian chest by the Grotto in the Jakob’s Estate is no longer invisible.
- Eridium crystals in Voracious Canopy grow less frequently.
- Scaled down the amount of loot drops in Mayhem Mode.
- Torgue shotgun sticky damage has been reduced.
- Reduced E-Tech shotgun elemental damage from “flesh off your bones” to “a lot”.
- Chupacabratch dropped too much of his hard-earned loot.
- Adjusted spawn rate of Loot Tinks in Mansion. They’re special again.
- Removed pain-sounds from Troy for his boss fight.
Hotfixes are applied at the Game Menu when you start the game. To ensure that the hotfix has been applied, go to the in-game menu and see if “updates are available” showing.