Apex Legends’ latest season is bringing destruction to World’s Edge. As part of the beginning of season 4 it looks like Respawn has destroyed parts of the map, which should change the way players interact with those areas. Other changes in the season 4 patch include the addition of Revenant, the game’s newest Legend, a new weapon, a new battle pass, and a few balance changes.
Revenant has the ability to move across the map more quickly than the game’s other Legends, as well as disable enemy abilities. Most importantly, his ultimate gives him the ability to cheat death, letting him revive at a specific Totem when he reaches zero health rather than going down.
Season 4’s new weapon is the Sentinel Sniper Rifle. Aside from simply being a powerful bolt-action sniper rifle, with the shield battery attachment equipped players can charge up an especially strong shot that does extra damage.
As part of the season’s new map changes there are also a few new points of interest coming to World’s Edge. The biggest new area of the map is The Planet Harvester, a huge multi-tiered structure for players to fight in and around. There’s also now a giant fissure that has cut through the middle of Capitol City, dividing it into two separate areas.
Finally, the patch includes all kinds of balance changes including updates to the accuracy of iron sights on over a dozen guns. Individual guns also got some slight tuning adjustments including damage reductions for both the L-Star and the R-99. This patch also gave Bloodhound a buff that lets them extend the duration of Beast of the Hunt if they down players while using the ability.
For a full look at everything that’s changing in Apex Legends season 4 update, you can find the full patch notes below.
Apex Legends season 4 patch notes
New weapon: Sentinel Sniper Rifle
The Sentinel is a bolt action sniper rifle, effective at medium to long range. If a player presses the “fire select” with a shield battery equipped, the Sentinel will consume the shield battery from your inventory and temporarily enters an energized state. While energized, the Sentinel fires projectiles that deal massive damage to shields. The projectiles use different VFX trails, and there is a unique energized firing sound, so all nearby players know that the Sentinel is firing these higher damage projectiles.
The Sentinel has a limited amount of energy that decays slowly over time, and loses a big chunk of juice for each shot. Once the energy runs out, the energized state ends.
- THE PLANET HARVESTER With its large, multi-level design the Planet Harvester is unlike anything else on World’s Edge and brings exciting new gameplay options to the game.
- CAPITOL CITY SPLIT IN TWO Capitol City was the biggest POI in Season 3, getting the most action right out of the ship. By sending the fissure straight through Capitol City and creating some dead space in between (swallowing up one of the construction buildings as well), we essentially split this area into two separate zones for players to land in and loot: Fragment East and Fragment West.
- THE UPDRAFTS If you jump into the fissure that cuts through Capitol City you’ll slowly be carried back up from the heated, pressurized air, and allowed to coast across and land on the other side. This is balanced by two things. First, you take 25 damage from the intense heat and embers floating inside. This is a consistent amount of damage every time you drop back down. Second, you travel very slowly, in third person, while moving in the updraft.
- SURVEY CAMP This is a new, small POI in the snowy fields between the Epicenter and Skyhook.
- WEAPON RACKS These are guaranteed weapons placed on racks in the small buildings of Survey Camp. You’ll recognize them from Training or the Firing Range. This should give players who prioritize a good weapon over a premier drop location a new decision to make.
Ranked Series 3
- Moving to Splits per season, ~6 weeks of ranked play before a reset
- Adding Master Tier, Apex Predator becomes top 500 players by platform.
- Soft reset and scoring are the same, but soft reset is every split.
- Dive trails will be moving to a seasonal reward model, but Series 1 & 2 players are grandfathered in.
- The update to how assists are scored in Series 3 also applies to Revenant’s Silence ability.
Anniversary Login Gift
For the first week of Season 4 - Assimilation (Feb 4, 2020 - Feb 11, 2020), anyone who logs in during that time will receive the Anniversary Gift, which includes:
- Year 1 Origami Flyer charm (if you’ve got any ideas for cotton, please let us know)
- Year 1 Loyalty badge
- 10k XP for your first match of the day (available each day)
- The Loyalty badge comes in 3 different flavors depending on when you took your first leap from the drop ship, so feel free to flex on all your latecomer buddies.
NEW LOOT: SNIPER AMMO [10 shots per pickup]
All snipers now take new ammo type:
- Longbow DMR
- Charge Rifle [now uses 1 sniper ammo per shot. Magazine holds 4 shots]
- New attachment: extended magazine for Sniper ammo.
- Energy Ammo: Now gives 30 ammo per pickup instead of 20.
- Removed Loot: Turbocharger Hop, Extended mags for energy ammo
- Gold Backpack: UI update to better convey to players when they are using or being revived with the perk.
Updated iron sight accuracy
Developer Note: Apex guns move around subtly while ADS — they rotate and sway as you move your aim, they bob up and down and side to side while moving, etc.
We have special tech that makes sure the reticle on the optics stays centered even as the gun moves around a bit. However, until season 4, the ironsights on weapons didn’t have this tech. That meant that the ironsights reticles could move around with the weapon and actually be slightly inaccurate — they wouldn’t point at the screen center where the next shot would fire. With season 4, we have updated most of the weapons’ ironsights to properly stay centered now. Not all ironsights are upgraded yet, but we will be updating the remaining weapons as this season progresses. The weapons that will be updated for Season 4 are:
- Longbow DMR
- Charge Rifle
- Sentinel Sniper Rifle
- Spitfire LMG
- Moved from “Sniper” to the “Assault Rifle” class.
- Now only accepts AR optics and attachments [including barrel stabilizers and stock].
- Still accepts Double Tap hop-up.
- Contributes to progress for stats/challenges for AR’s moving forward.
- Reduced fire rate 4.5 -> 4.0
- Increasing time between shots for double tap 0.425 -> 0.475
- Fixed bug where G7 had 0 ADS air spread, making it the only gun that was perfectly accurate on ziplines, etc.
- Uses energy ammo.
- Reloading has been removed and the L-STAR will overheat after sustained fire so best to fire in short bursts to manage overheating and recoil.
- Damage reduced per shot 19 -> 18
- Rate of Fire decreased 12 -> 10
- Less horizontal viewkick when the weapon fires.
- Magazine size: 54
- Total ammo stock: 162
- Turbocharger functionality.
- No longer accepts the Turbocharger hop-up [turbocharger has been removed from the game] but can still equip Select Fire.
- Decreased time between shots when using Select Fire hop-up .77 -> .56
- Reduced damage per shot 12 -> 11
- Increased magazine size for the first 3 tiers:
- Base: 18 -> 20
- Common: 20 -> 22
- Rare: 23 -> 24
- Epic: 27 -> 27
- Increased damage per shot 14 -> 15
- Increased single-shot rate of fire 5.6 -> 6.4
Adjusted magazine sizes:
- Base: 4 -> 5
- Common: 6 -> 6
- Rare: 8 -> 7
- Epic: 10 -> 8
- Double Tap hop-up: reduced the delay between bursts: 0.85 -> 0.80
- Fixed an exploit that players discovered and reported where you could rapidly fire the Mastiff.
Gold weapons update
The following will be the new set of Gold Weapons for Season 4:
- Downing (not killing) players adds 5 seconds to Beast of the Hunt timer. It is possible to exceed starting time with successive kills.
- EMP no longer destroys friendly Gibraltar Dome Shields.
- Dome Shields no longer can stick to Crypto’s Drone.
- Fixed bug that was causing players that reached account level 500 to crash or access their inventory or store.
- Fixed bug where player level text would appear on the badges of level 100 badge when it wasn’t supposed to.
- Fixed bug for some cases where players were unable to equip weapons from care packages when attempting to swap it with an existing weapon.
- Fixes for a few bad spots in World’s Edge where players were getting stuck or getting to places they shouldn’t - thank you to everyone that’s been capturing and reporting these issues and keep them coming!
- Fixed bug where sometimes when the Jumpmaster disconnects then the followers in their squad would float in mid-air and be unable to unfollow.
- General stability fixes.
Quality of Life
- Fixes for cases where approaching the edge of the Circle would make the players screen turn almost all white.
- Updated colorblind settings based on player feedback.
- Community Request: added a Random Favorites option for unlocked skins that can be found in the Legend customization menu.
- You’ll see an option to “favorite” skins you’ve unlocked [Y button on consoles].
- Choosing Random Favorite option from the skins menu will randomly cycle your chosen favorite Legend skins in between matches.
- Increased the timer for when you can still be credited for an assist after dealing damage: 5 seconds -> 7.5 seconds.
- Nerfed the Roller that falls from the Loot Drone. Reduced damage. Decreased radius of splash damage. Updated the visual FX to the explosion for better visibility.
- “Target Compensation” and “Melee Target Compensation” options have been moved to the “Advanced Look Controls” menu.
Penalties and loss forgiveness in Ranked Mode
Developer Note: There are some changes coming to loss forgiveness to reduce abuse of the system. Loss forgiveness when a teammate leaves or fails to connect is unchanged, and is working as intended. We will be limiting the RP loss forgiveness when you leave once per day. If you exceed once per day more than three times per ranked series, you lose all forgiveness for the remainder of that series. Once these limits are reached players will no longer receive RP loss forgiveness when abandoning a match, regardless of the reason for quitting. We will continue to display prompts that alert you that leaving will count, and now will alert you when you are about to run out of loss forgiveness games.The scaling penalties are the same as last Series.
PLAYERS CRASHING WITH DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG Some player are experiencing an issue where Apex is crashing with a “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG” error message. We are working closely with NVIDIA to help determine the cause of the issue and provide gamers with a solution (via updated driver or game patch) as soon as possible.
Helpful Information When Reporting: Graphics card vendor/model (ie: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080) Driver version: (ie: 441.66) Any pattern to repro? (specific location, certain duration of gameplay, etc.)
Developer Note: With this patch we’ll be pushing out changes globally to matchmaking that we’ve been testing in specific regions. We’re well aware that this has been a contentious topic among players and there’s been some misinformation out there so just to be clear: skill-based matchmaking has existed in Apex since launch and we’ll be continuing to improve it over time.