Brimstone falls into the Controller class of Agents. and is great at locking down an area for his team. His Signature Ability lets him call down up to three smoke grenades from the sky, cutting off vision to key choke points and giving his team a little bit more freedom. He’s also got a grenade launcher and a buff that gives his team higher firing rates. Brimstone’s Ultimate calls in an airstrike that can kill anyone who stays inside it for too long.
Here are all of Brimstone’s abilities and the best ways to use them.
Launch an incendiary grenade that deploys a damaging field of fire.
- This grenade can bounce in all different directions. Learn how to get it into hard to reach areas that enemies may be lurking in.
- You don’t always need to hit an enemy with this. Sometimes it’s just as good to shoot it in an area in order to block it off from enemy movements.
Ability: Stim Beacon
Target a nearby location to call in a Stim Beacon, giving all players near it Rapidfire.
- This buff makes everyone in range shoot faster. It can be especially useful for allies if they’re defending an area. The buff lasts for four seconds once a player leaves the Stim Beacon’s vicinity, so you can place it before a big push and give your team an edge as they enter a site.
- It also works well as bait. If you and an opponent are in a small area, you can throw it down in one spot as a distraction while running somewhere else and catching the other team unawares.
Signature Ability: Sky Smoke
Use your map to call in orbital deployment smokescreens that obscure vision. Click to set the locations, and confirm to launch.
- You only get one of these for free, but you can buy up to three to use at a time. If you hold onto one for a round, it will carry over into the next round.
- This ability has a long range, but it can’t be used from all the way across a map.You’ll need to get close to an area before you can call in smokes. You’re also very vulnerable when you’re calling them in, so make sure to stand somewhere safe when you activate Sky Smoke.
- Try to place smokes in entrances. If you’re an Attacker, that means any area where an enemy might be standing or trying to defend a bomb site. If you’re a Defender, you can place this where Attackers are likely to enter and force them to either wait out the smoke, losing valuable time, or push through it blind giving you an extra second to shoot them when they emerge.
Ultimate Ability: Orbital Strike
Use your map to target a location, launching a devastating orbital strike that pulses for high damage over several seconds.
- This ability lasts around four seconds and defusing a Spike takes seven seconds total. That makes this one of the best abilities in the game for Attacking teams that have already planted the Spike. As soon as you hear the bomb defusal start, you can call this in on the bomb site. Alternatively, when the timer on the Spike is getting low, you can activate this early and make sure that there’s no time for the Defenders to defuse.
- Be aware that Orbital Strike will go through ceilings, so nowhere is safe. This is a tip both for Brimstone and his opponents.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.