Phoenix is a Duelist, so he’s often the Agent leading the charge for his team. He can blind the enemy team, and can create a wall of fire to discourage the enemy from coming close. If things go badly, his fire abilities can even heal him. Phoenix also has an Ultimate that can give him a second life to let him try some extra dangerous plays.
Here are all of Phoenix’s abilities and a few tips on how to use them best.
Cast out a flame wall that blocks vision and damages anyone passing through it. You can bend the wall when casting by turning while holding left click.
- If Phoenix walks through his own wall or stands inside it, he’ll be healed, which can make this ability extra useful in tight spots.
- This wall doesn’t actually stop bullets, but it hides you well enough that you can probably stop an enemy from killing you just by throwing it up as a screen. If they blindfire through it, they’ll have to get very lucky to kill you.
Cast a curving flare that bursts into brilliant light after a brief delay, temporarily blinding all looking at it. Left click curves it left, right click curves it right.
- Always use this ability around a corner, if you try to throw it straight it will blind you. The curve on it is almost 90 degrees so it’s easy to curve it around a corner before you peak.
- This ability can blind you and your teammates so be careful how you use it.
Signature Ability: Hot Hands
Throw a fireball that explodes after a delay or upon impact with the ground. The fire zone damages enemies, and heals you.
- This ability is great for making enemies think twice before they come out of a door or into a small hallway.
- While this ability is good for area denial it doesn’t do a ton of damage, so don’t be afraid to use it to create a personal health pool for yourself.
Ultimate Ability: Run it Back
Mark your current location. If you die during this ability’s duration, or when this ability’s duration expires, you’ll be reborn at the marked location with full health.
- Anything you do while this ability is active will come back with you when you return to the place you started the ability. So if the Spike is in a bad position you can activate your ultimate, grab it, and when the enemy kills you you’ll just pop back up where you started Run it Back.
- Be careful where you leave your starting point for Run it Back. There will be a fire on the ground there so it’s easy to see and if an enemy runs across it they’ll wait for you to return then kill you during the animation before you can move.
- This ability is also great to start rounds with. If you’re an Attacker you can rush into a site and either get a couple of kills or gather some valuable information. If you’re a Defender you could throw yourself into the enemy team and catch them by surprise without risking your life.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.