Apex Legends season 5 is here and Respawn has finally let us know what’s in the game’s latest update. Along with the addition of Loba, Apex’s newest character, this patch also includes a new version of the Kings Canyon map with Skull Town completely replaced, as well as some balance changes to weapons and Legends.
Loba’s been confirmed for quite a while and we saw her abilities on Monday. She’s sneaking into season 5 with a kit fit for a master thief. Loba can see rare loot through walls, vacuum up all the loot in a small area directly to her staff, and even teleport short distances to get out of a jam.
This patch also changes Kings Canyon by bringing in an entirely new area to replace Skull Town. What was once a collection of buildings in the desert is now a destroyed landmass dotted with military complexes and an underground facility for players to explore.
Season 5 will also bring in a new PvE mode called Hunts which is part of “The Broken Ghost” season quest. To unlock each Hunt you’ll need to find Treasure Packs in-game. These drops are random and can come from any chest you open in a regular battle royale match. The first Hunt won’t go live until next week and there will be nine in total. If you complete all nine, you’ll unlock a special cosmetic reward.
Finally, the season 5 patch is bringing plenty of balance changes, including a full rework for Mirage. The goal of this rework is to let Mirage players be a little bit more tricky with their clones by giving them the ability to change when they do and don’t mimic Mirage’s movement. There are also changes to a few other Legends in this patch, like a buff to Caustic that causes his gas to no longer slow teammates, as well as a big nerf to Pathfinder’s Grappling Hook cooldown, which is going from 15 seconds to 35 seconds.
For a full look at all the changes coming to Apex Legends in season 5, you can check out the full patch notes below.
Apex Legends season 5 complete patch notes
New Legend: Loba
Tactical - Burglar’s Best Friend
- Teleport to hard-to-reach places or escape trouble quickly by throwing your Jump Drive bracelet.
Ultimate - Black Market Boutique
- Place a portable device that allows you to teleport nearby loot to your inventory. Each friendly or enemy Legend can take up to two items.
Passive - Eye for Quality
- Nearby epic and Legendary loot can be seen through walls.
- The range is the same as Black Market Boutique.
Map Update: Kings Canyon
Skulltown and Thunderdome have fallen. A new POI, Salvage, has been added to the Broken Coast. Across the map, the Offshore Rig connects to the former Relay and Wetlands. Wetlands has been replaced by the excavation of the Capacitor, which has a new underground pathway to Singh Labs. Nesting Grounds has continued to regrow into the Reclaimed Forest, which features an expanded Singh Labs exterior and a small camp outside of The Cage. Check out our blog post here for more information on these changes!
Kings Canyon will be the only map available for two weeks after the season launch, so players can have time to fully explore the changes and meta shift. After the two week honeymoon period, Map Rotation will start rotating World’s Edge Season 4 into the mix.
Charge Towers are new devices unearthed in the excavation of Kings Canyon. Activate them to grant a full Ultimate charge to any Legends standing on the platform when the charge blast goes out.
Designer Note: The hope for this rework is that it gives more depth to Mirage gameplay by giving Mirage players avenues to get better at Bamboozling people.
Tactical: Psyche Out
- Pressing the character utility action button allows Mirage to gain control of his decoy.
- When controlling the decoy, it will mimic Mirage’s every move.
- Decoys now last for 60 seconds.
- Releasing another decoy will remove the previous decoy.
Ultimate: Life of the Party
- Mirage deploys a team of decoys that mimic his every move (think “Emergency Dance Party” from DUMMIEs Big Day).
- Cooldown 60 seconds.
Passive: Now You See Me…
- In addition to cloaking when downed, Mirage also cloaks while using a respawn beacon and reviving a teammate (the teammate is also cloaked).
Mirage’s “You got Bamboozled” line will now trigger when you bamboozle an enemy, instead of when you release a decoy.
Tactical: Eye of the Allfather
- Increased Sonar Detection from 3 seconds to 4 seconds.
- Decreased Cooldown from 35 seconds to 25 seconds.
- Crypto can now ping banners, while in drone, to warn teammates of nearby squads.
- Increased Lifeline bin ratio to 20%
- Removed Knockdown Shields from Secret Compartment loot pool
Designer note: this is something that is a bit of an experiment. We will be keeping an eye out to make sure this change doesn’t cause any degenerate player behavior.
- Friendly gas no longer slows teammates.
- Caustic traps are no longer triggered from the other side of a door.
Designer note: This is a first step in pushing more team utility for Octane. We have more updates planned but they didn’t make the cutoff for this patch.
- Launch Pad cooldown is reduced from 90 seconds to now 60 seconds.
Designer note: Internal data shows that Gibraltar’s performance in individual fights is in a good place, but we want to bring down his power a bit in team fights.
- Reduced Dome Shield duration from 18s to 12s.
Designer note: Given the power of quick repositioning in Apex, being able to use Pathfinder’s Grappling Hook multiple times in a fight is both too powerful and muddies combat legibility.
- The cooldown for Grappling Hook has been increased from 15 seconds to 35 seconds.
Weapons and Loot Updates
Season 5 Fully-kitted Gold Weapons
- Longbow DMR
- The Mastiff is being rotated out of the care package to a regular weapon with its power reduced accordingly.
- Reduced damage per pellet from 18 to 13.
- Reduced headshot multiplier from 2.0 to 1.25.
- Increased blast pattern distances for the outer pairs of pellets.
- Increased blast pattern scale ADS multiplier from 0.5 to 0.55.
- Reduced fire rate from 1.3 to 1.0.
- Reduced projectile size to be more in line with other regular shotguns.
- Increased shell count from 4 to 6.
- Increased projectile speed to standard shotgun speed.
- Peacekeeper is being rotated out of a regular weapon and into the care package weapon with its power being increased accordingly.
- Tightened pellet spread pattern.
- Reduced rechamber time from 1.2 to 0.9.
- Reduced reload times from 2.65 to 2.45 base and 3.6 to 3.35 empty.
- Increased projectile size to improve consistency at close range.
- Increased Mag size from 16 to 19. Level 1 Extended mag is now 22, Level 2 is now 25, and Level 3 is now 27.
- Increased damage from 11 to 12.
- Reduced reload time from 1.74 to 1.5 base and 2.12 to 1.95 empty
- Vertical recoil increased.
- Horizontal recoil slightly increased.
- Recoil on the first 2 shots increased.
- Headshot scale reduced from 2.15 to 2.1.
- Headshot scale reduced from 2.1 to 2.0.
- Adding Skullpiercer Hopup for DMR and Wingman.
- DMR w/ Skullpiercer - Headshot scale 2.1 -> 2.5
- Wingman w/ Skullpiercer - Headshot scale 2.0 -> 2.25
- Vaulted Anvil Receiver.
- Added Perk: Shield Cells & Syringes give double the amount per use.
- Removed Perk: Removed 50% heal speed.
Season Quest: “The Broken Ghost”
Introduces Apex’s first Quest - a season-long search for 9 pieces of a mysterious relic. Find your first daily Treasure Pack in any competitive match to get started on your hunt, and enjoy free weekly drops of new Story, Gameplay, and Rewards along the way. Learn more about Quests in our blog post here.
All seasonal content has been moved into its own tab in the lobby. Here, you can find the Battle Pass, Quest, and Challenges tabs. Future events in this season will show up here as well.
Battle Pass S5
Fight your way to glory with the Season 5 Battle Pass. Complete Daily and Weekly challenges to unlock over 100 exclusive items including exclusive Legendary skins, gun charms, skydive emotes, Apex Packs, XP Boosts, load screens, and more.
Ranked Series 4
This new season starts a new Ranked Series! This season we are sticking to mostly the same format but have also introduced a key feature, Reconnect.
Players that leave a match unexpectedly can now rejoin their match in progress. “Unexpected” means exiting the match through any means other than the system menu, including crashing, using alt+f4 on PC, or “dashboarding” to close the game on console. To reconnect, simply restart the game and enter the lobby. The game will automatically attempt to reconnect you if the match is still valid, your squad is still alive, and your chance to reconnect hasn’t timed out. Reconnect will be available for all competitive modes.
Disconnected players’ characters remain in the state they were in while the player was connected. To their teammates, it will look a bit like the disconnected player has gone afk (with an icon next to their name to indicate disconnection). This means when the player reconnects, they can immediately continue where they left off. Unless, that is, they were killed beforehand. Player characters can be knocked out and eliminated while the player is disconnected. Disconnected players whose characters have died can be respawned normally, by taking their banner to a respawn beacon, before or after the player has reconnected.
If a player doesn’t reconnect in time, the disconnected player’s character is removed as normal, and the game will treat their disconnect as an abandonment. There is a limited time window in which a player can reconnect and failing to do so in Ranked will result in a loss penalty. Loss forgiveness does not activate until a player is fully removed from the game, so don’t drop from a ranked match when your squadmates have a chance to reconnect!
To read more on Series 4 Ranked, Read the blog here.
Conditional Legend Chatter
Under certain pairings, Legends will speak to each other differently when prompted with normal dialogue cues. How does Loba thank Revenant for a revive? She sure doesn’t say “Thank you.”
There are many pairings if you are interested in hearing what everyone has to say. Experiment!
- Fixed various conditions causing prediction errors.
- Fixed looting in pillboxes being difficult around weapons.
- Fixed aiming speed during zooming lerp to be consistent with hipfire and ADS speed.
- Fixed disabling Melee Target Compensation.
- Fixed Legend banners having a black box when having AA disabled.
- Fixed a condition where the third character model would be missing on screens with three Legend banners.
- Fixed sometimes erroneously pinging enemies while skydiving or in the plane.
- Fixed exploitable spots against Prowlers in Bloodhound Trial.
- Fixed Prowlers not attacking Gibraltar’s Dome Shield.
- Fixed deathboxes sometimes not moving on the train.
- Fixed subtitles in Russian showing up as English in the Bloodhound Trial area.
- Fixed Havoc VFX while on the train.
- Fixed depth of field when selecting charms in the loadout menu.
- Fixed lighting on Legends sometimes being dark throughout the menus.
- Fixed tooltips not appearing correctly when highlighting items in the menus.
- Fixed the Charge Rifle beam shooting from the scope while using the Hard coded skin.
- Fixed melee not doing any damage when interrupting the Sentinel charge animation.
- Fixed Wingman having higher than normal hipfire accuracy while crouched.
- Fixed Golden Barrel attachment having more muzzle flash than intended.
- Stability fixes to reduce crashing and script errors.
- Crypto’s EMP now affects D.U.M.M.I.E. in the Firing Range.
- Fixed Revenant’s Death Totem being visible through smoke or gas.
- Fixed a few Pathfinder banner poses that caused corrupted art.
- Adjusted Octane’s Jump pad to make it harder to fall through cracks when deploying.
- Fixed Caustic’s Ultimate not deploying when thrown under small surfaces.
- Fixed Bangalore’s smoke canisters getting stuck under the Train.
Quality of Life
- We’ve overhauled the Deathbox UI to compartmentalize loot better so you can find what you need faster.
- Crypto can now ping banners while in drone to warn teammates of nearby squads.
- Added voice over for pinging enemies who are reviving.
- Favorite option now available for Weapon Skins.
- Observer Highlights for Tournament Matches.
- Removed location based Weekly Challenges. These caused players to have mixed motivations from their squadmates, and didn’t work well with map rotation.
- Optimized CPU usage.
- Improved texture streaming quality on GPUs reporting less memory than advertised.
- We’re excited to announce that at the start of Season 5 we will be adding Apex servers to the Middle East as we look to further support our fans in the region.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.