Grasshopper Manufacture’s action game No More Heroes 3 won’t make its previously scheduled 2020 release date. In a statement posted on Twitter on Wednesday, Grasshopper founder and game designer Goichi Suda announced that the Nintendo Switch sequel is now planned for release next year.
Suda said the global coronavirus pandemic has impacted development of No More Heroes 3, and that the development team is now focused on “prioritizing quality” for the Switch exclusive.
“All staff members at Grasshopper have been working as hard as possible on developing the game in hopes of releasing it in 2020, but the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have unfortunately proven to be a real body blow to our schedule, causing unforeseen delays in development,” said Suda. “Now that we have managed to get back on our feet with development, we have decided to focus on prioritizing quality, and to therefore push back the final release date.
“Very sorry once again. We hope that everyone who has been waiting patiently for No More Heroes 3 can understand and accept this decision, and we will continue to put every effort into the title’s development as we shoot for a 2021 release date.”
Suda’s full statement is below.
I have a very important announcement to share today. pic.twitter.com/i4qTdNpYeD— SUDA51/須田剛一 (@suda_51) September 10, 2020
No More Heroes 3 was announced as a Nintendo Switch game at E3 2019. It’s the first core entry in Grasshopper’s action game series in a decade, and once again sees assassin Travis Touchdown wield his beam katana to kill stuff — but this time, that stuff comes from outer space.