A new Pokémon anime series, Pokémon Evolutions, will premiere in September, and it will be web-exclusive, The Pokémon Company announced Thursday. The eight-episode animated series will explore the franchise’s existing regions — Galar, Alola, Kalos, Unova, Sinnoh, Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto — in each episode.
The Pokémon Company created the series to celebrate 25 years of the Pokémon franchise. Each installment of this eight-episode series will feature a different region, starting with the Galar region. The first episode of Pokémon Evolutions will air on Sept. 9 on the official Pokémon YouTube channel and on Pokémon TV, with new episodes streaming every two weeks.
Here’s the release schedule:
- Thursday, Sept. 9: “The Champion” featuring the Galar region
- Thursday, Sept. 23: “The Eclipse” featuring the Alola region
- Thursday, Oct. 7: “The Visionary” featuring the Kalos region
- Thursday, Oct. 21: “The Plan” featuring the Unova region
- Thursday, Dec. 2: “The Rival” featuring the Sinnoh region
- Thursday, Dec. 9: “The Wish” featuring the Hoenn region
- Thursday, Dec. 16: “The Show” featuring the Johto region
- Thursday, Dec. 23: “The Discovery” featuring the Kanto region
A teaser trailer revealed a bit of footage from the first Galar region episode and showed us a battle between Leon, the champion of the Galar Pokémon League, and the legendary Pokémon Eternatus. We also got a notable cameo from Ball Guy, everyone’s favorite mascot from the Pokémon Sword and Shield games.
The Pokémon Company is producing Pokémon Evolutions in collaboration with OLM Studios, the animation studio behind the Pokémon movies and series based on Yo-Kai Watch, Inazuma Eleven, and Beyblade.
This isn’t the first time The Pokémon Company has run a series like this. In 2019, the company released a miniseries based on the Galar region called Pokémon: Twilight Wings. Before that, there was also a similar web series that presented a more mature side of the Pokémon world called Pokémon Generations.