Nintendo released a new patch for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom on Tuesday, rolling out a number of fixes to bugs that blocked progression for some players and prevented fairies from appearing. But the latest update for Tears of the Kingdom — version 1.2.0 — also addresses some bugs that were advantageous to players. Yes, Nintendo appears to have cracked down on a few more duplication glitches that players had discovered, including the handy (and amusing) frozen meat dupe glitch.
Version 1.2.0 also seems to have nullified a few other duplication methods, including the glitch at Tobio’s Hollow Chasm, the shock emitter glitch, Fuse entanglement, and the exploit using extreme weather and Autobuild. Those glitches were present in version 1.1.2 of Tears of the Kingdom. (Players are reporting that they can still duplicate items using an item-throwing exploit, but it appears to be a lot more work.)
Nintendo has also added a new function that lets players earn some in-game items by launching Tears of the Kingdom from the Switch News channel — a feature that was also available in Breath of the Wild.
Tuesday’s patch fixes a few issues with a handful of main quests, a shrine quest, and side quests, so read on if one that you’re stuck on is flagged in Nintendo’s patch notes below.
Ver. 1.2.0 (Released July 4, 2023)
- By starting the game from within certain articles released on a specific Switch News channel (accessed via the HOME Menu) players can receive a number of in-game items.
- Depending on the state of gameplay progression or the location in which the data is reopened, there may be cases in which the items cannot be received.
- Fixed an issue where players could not progress beyond a certain point in the main quests “A Mystery in the Depths” and “Secret of the Ring Ruins,” the side adventures “Hateno Village Research Lab” and “Lurelin Village Restoration Project,” the shrine quest “Dyeing to Find It,” and the side quests “Village Attacked by Pirates,” “The Incomplete Stable,” and “Seeking the Pirate Hideout.” Downloading the update will allow players to proceed past that point.
- Fixed an issue preventing fairies from appearing under certain conditions when they originally should have appeared.
- Fixed an issue preventing the meals provided by Kiana of Lurelin Village from changing under certain conditions.
- Several issues have been addressed to improve the gameplay experience.