Choosing your your island’s layout is the first step you have to complete in Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Switch. Timmy and Tommy Nook will present you with four options, but if you don’t like them, you can close out your game, reload it, and try again to find something you like better.
Because the game does have a terraforming tool, choosing your island doesn’t matter much in the long run — but you won’t be able to change your island for several days. This means you should pick something you’re happy with at the beginning.
In this New Horizons guide, we’ll show what to consider when selecting your island.
How to choose a good island
When picking your island out, pay attention to where the rivers and cliffs are. Unlike previous Animal Crossing games, New Horizons has higher cliffs. You’ll be able to access all of these high areas once you get a Vaulting Pole and a Ladder, but you’ll eventually build bridges and ramps to climb cliffs and cross rivers. Adding tons of bridges and ramps can be expensive, though, so keep that in mind.
You cannot move where your Resident Services building is, so make sure you like the placement of it on your island. It will always get placed in a relatively centered spot, so just keep in mind how much space is around it. If you want it to eventually be in the center of your shops or villager homes, it’ll need enough space around it to put other buildings.
Some fish, like carp and tadpole, can only be caught in ponds. Make sure your island has a small body of water (that isn’t a river) so you don’t have to miss out on these fish.
Your airport can also be different colors, and based on our experience, it doesn’t seem that you can change the color. You can get red, green, yellow, and blue airports, but if you’re picky about your island’s colors, reset to get the airport color you want.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons 2.0 5
- Getting started 6
Learn the basics
- Every tool’s durability and how long they last
- What happens when you eat fruit
- How to send letters with presents (and wrap them)
- How to cure a wasp sting
- How to move rocks
- How to make chat less insufferable
- What time does the new day start?
- How to customize your phone
- How to turn any photo into a pattern
- How to poop 💩
- Guide to Dreaming and Dream Addresses
- How to back up your island
Buildings and structures
- Upgrading your house
- How to unlock the Shop, the Museum, and more
- How to unlock the Able Sisters tailor shop
- Guide to the Museum
- How to move items and manage your pocket and house inventory
- How to move and rotate furniture
- How to move buildings
- How to build bridges and inclines
- How to upgrade Nook’s Cranny
- Catching critters 10
- Farming for items 9
- Upgrades 7
- Making money (Bells) 6
- Nook Miles 3
- Character and island customization 9
Villager visitors and NPCs
- Complete amiibo guide
- How to make a villager move out
- How to get K.K. Slider
- How to get a 3 star town rating for K.K. Slider
- How to sell bugs to Flick the vendor
- How to sell to the new fish vendor, C.J.
- K.K. Slider song list, music guide
- Jolly Redd’s art, real or fake?
- Celeste Star Fragment DIY recipe list
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons winter Snowflake DIY recipe guide
Seasonal event guides
- Maple Leaf DIY recipe list
- Summer Shell DIY recipe list
- Mushroom DIY recipe list
- Festive Season DIY recipe list
- Perfect Snowboy guide and DIY recipe list
- Young Spring Bamboo recipe list
- Cherry-blossom Petals recipe list guide
- Bunny Day event guide
- Acorn and Pine Cone recipe list
- How to make custom fireworks
- Raffle guide and rewards list
The game’s community
- The year we spent in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Animal Crossing kept up with all the twists and turns of 2020
- Joe Biden sets up his own Animal Crossing island for the presidential campaign
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a much-needed escape from everything
- Animal Crossing outsells Breath of the Wild in mere months
- Animal Crossing’s escapist fantasy is getting a reality check
- Animal Crossing reportedly removed from Chinese retailers following Hong Kong demonstrations
- Animal Crossing hacker group starts free villager service
- Animal Crossing’s fashion is unrivaled
- Animal Crossing players are starting over after dozens (or hundreds) of hours