While selling the fruit is a great way to make a lot of Bells, fruit has another purpose in Animal Crossing: New Horizons on Switch: Eating fruit actually gives you a buff that helps you perform feats of strength that you wouldn’t be able to do otherwise.
While there’s only two main things you can do with your fruit-based power, they are essential tasks for those looking to rearrange their islands before they can start terraforming.
What happens when you eat fruit
When you have a piece of fruit in your inventory, select the option that lets you “Eat 1.” After your adorable eating animation, you’ll notice a little counter appear on the upper left of your screen.
Each piece of fruit will increase this counter by one, topping out at 10. But what do these numbers mean? Each of these numbers is a strength buff that will let you do one of two things with each use:
- With the shovel, you can dig up an entire tree, regardless of its maturity. That means you can move any tree at will.
- With the Shovel or Axe, you can destroy rocks completely. Be careful when doing this on your island — especially if you need them for farming Iron Nuggets — because it takes time for rocks to reappear.
Performing either of those actions will remove one number. When you’ve run out, you’ll need to eat more fruit to gain the strength again.
But you may be wondering how do you get rid of all the numbers at once? Well, there’s an easy way to do that: use a toilet.
Prices taken at time of publishing.
Nintendo Switch consoles are often sold out, but you can still pick up the handheld-only Switch Lite, which is perfect for portable gaming.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.
- Getting started 7
Learn the basics
- Every tool’s durability and how long they last
- How to send letters with presents (and wrap them)
- How to cure a wasp sting
- How to move rocks
- How to make chat less insufferable
- What time does the new day start?
- How to customize your phone
- How to turn any photo into a pattern
- How to poop 💩
- Guide to Dreaming and Dream Addresses
- How to back up your island
Buildings and structures
- Upgrading your house
- How to unlock the Shop, the Museum, and more
- How to unlock the Able Sisters tailor shop
- Guide to the Museum
- How to move items and manage your pocket and house inventory
- How to move and rotate furniture
- How to move buildings
- How to build bridges and inclines
- How to upgrade Nook’s Cranny
- Catching critters 10
- Farming for items 9
- Upgrades 7
- Making money (Bells) 6
- Nook Miles 3
- Character and island customization 9
Villager visitors and NPCs
- Complete amiibo guide
- How to make a villager move out
- How to get K.K. Slider
- How to get a 3 star town rating for K.K. Slider
- How to sell bugs to Flick the vendor
- How to sell to the new fish vendor, C.J.
- K.K. Slider song list, music guide
- Jolly Redd’s art, real or fake?
- Celeste Star Fragment DIY recipe list
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons winter Snowflake DIY recipe guide
Seasonal event guides
- Maple Leaf DIY recipe list
- Summer Shell DIY recipe list
- Mushroom DIY recipe list
- Festive Season DIY recipe list
- Perfect Snowboy guide and DIY recipe list
- Young Spring Bamboo recipe list
- Cherry-blossom Petals recipe list guide
- Bunny Day event guide
- Acorn and Pine Cone recipe list
- How to make custom fireworks
- Raffle guide and rewards list
The game’s community
- The year we spent in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Animal Crossing kept up with all the twists and turns of 2020
- Joe Biden sets up his own Animal Crossing island for the presidential campaign
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a much-needed escape from everything
- Animal Crossing outsells Breath of the Wild in mere months
- Animal Crossing’s escapist fantasy is getting a reality check
- Animal Crossing reportedly removed from Chinese retailers following Hong Kong demonstrations
- Animal Crossing hacker group starts free villager service
- Animal Crossing’s fashion is unrivaled
- Animal Crossing players are starting over after dozens (or hundreds) of hours