Animal Crossing: New Horizons allows players to wear patterns as face paint, which introduces the world of eyebrows, freckles, and birthmarks to the Nintendo Switch game.
You can customize your villager to look eerily like you using this feature to give yourself specific eyebrows or maybe a special birthmark. Face paint does show up even when your character is wearing face accessories, but it won’t show up through an accessory, like a face mask.
To make yourself some custom face paint, follow these steps:
- Open your design tool and start designing on a pattern.
- Pick a palette that suits your skin or hair color. The palettes towards the bottom will best support this.
- Click in the right analog stick twice to make the example on the left show a mannequin head, so you can see what you’re doing as you work.
- Make the entire canvas transparent, by filling it in with the “color” with grey and white stripes.
- Hit ZR to make your design symmetrical, which is ideal for eyebrows. You don’t have to do this for other facial features.
- Save your pattern when you’re done.
- Select the pattern and choose to wear it as “face paint.”
- If you don’t like the placement, open up the pattern and make adjustments. You can use the drag tool on the right to move them around.
Keep in mind that anything below the middle x-axis on the pattern will go on your cheeks, whereas everything above it will go on your forehead.
If you’re worried about your artistic talent, you can always download somebody else’s pattern.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons 2.0
- How to prepare for Animal Crossing: New Horizons 2.0
- New things to do in November
- Gyroids and gyroid fragments
- Happy Home Paradise unlock guide
- 8 quality-of-life additions added in Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ 2.0 update
- Food, cooking, and DIY Recipes+
- Animal Crossing farming guide
- How to get wheat
- Kapp’n’s Boat Tours
- Harv’s Island Plaza
- Permanent ladders
- Storage shed
- How to unlock Brewster
- Donation box
- How to get Shino and 15 more new 2.0 villagers
- How to invite villagers to Happy Home Paradise islands
- Glowing moss and vine DIY recipe list
- Pro Camera App
- How to get Froggy Chair
- Animal Crossing 2.01 update
- Getting started 6
Learn the basics
- How to turn any photo into a pattern
- 8 tasks to do every day
- Online multiplayer
- How to time travel
- Tool durability
- What does eating fruit do?
- How to poop 💩
- Sending letters and mail — Animal Crossing: New Horizons guide
- How to cure a wasp sting
- Moving rocks and making a rock garden
- Improving the game chat
Buildings and structures
- Upgrading your house
- How to unlock the Shop, the Museum, and more
- How to unlock the Able Sisters tailor shop
- Guide to the Museum
- How to move items and manage your pocket and house inventory
- How to move and rotate furniture
- How to move buildings
- How to build bridges and inclines
- How to upgrade Nook’s Cranny
- Catching critters 9
- Farming for items 9
- Upgrades 7
- Making money (Bells) 6
- Nook Miles 3
- Character and island customization 10
- Villager visitors and NPCs 9
Seasonal event guides
- How to catch maple leaves
- Cherry-blossom Petals recipe list guide
- Young Spring Bamboo DIY recipe list
- Summer Shell DIY recipe list
- Maple Leaf DIY recipes
- Acorn and Pinecone DIY recipes
- Mushroom DIY recipe list
- Snowflake DIY recipes
- Festive Ornament DIY recipes
- Perfect Snowboy and DIY list
- How to make custom fireworks
- Raffle guide and rewards list
- Festivale event guide
- Bunny Day event guide
- May Day event guide
- Nature Day event guide
- Wedding season event guide
- Halloween event guide
- Turkey Day guide
- Toy Day event guide
- New Year’s Eve countdown event
The game’s community
- The year we spent in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Animal Crossing kept up with all the twists and turns of 2020
- Joe Biden sets up his own Animal Crossing island for the presidential campaign
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a much-needed escape from everything
- Animal Crossing outsells Breath of the Wild in mere months
- Animal Crossing’s escapist fantasy is getting a reality check
- Animal Crossing reportedly removed from Chinese retailers following Hong Kong demonstrations
- Animal Crossing hacker group starts free villager service
- Animal Crossing’s fashion is unrivaled
- Animal Crossing players are starting over after dozens (or hundreds) of hours
The next level of puzzles.
Take a break from your day by playing a puzzle or two! We’ve got SpellTower, Typeshift, crosswords, and more.
Sign up for the newsletter Patch Notes
A weekly roundup of the best things from Polygon