If you’ve played Baldur’s Gate 3 long enough, chances are you’ve had a character die mid-combat. In fact, it’s likely that character was Gale. According to the developers, he’s died four times more than any other character in the game.
When Gale dies, he doesn’t go quietly. Upon completing the fight where he falls, you’ll be met with a ghostly version of him who informs you that he must be revived immediately. The magical projection states that he has an item you can use to revive him, but it’s protected by a mystical security protocol.
In this Baldur’s Gate 3 guide, we’ll give you a walkthrough of the detailed steps to revive Gale. Follow this instructions to the letter, and you’ll have your magical partner back in no time.
Gale’s revival instructions
When you first meet the ghostly recreation of Gale, it will run you through a set of instructions and then immediately ask you to reiterate the steps. There is no penalty for getting the answers wrong during this impromptu quiz. In fact, if you mess up an answer, another party member will correct you so you get a reminder of the right sequence.
Once the ghost disappears, it’s up to you bring Gale back to life. Here’s what you need to do, in this order, to bring back your wizard companion:
- After Gale dies, a pouch will appear in his inventory. You can go to his body and grab it or just access it from his inventory by pressing I on your keyboard to access everyone’s items. Open the pouch in Gale’s inventory.
- Next you’ll be asked how to open it. Choose to unthread the purple seam counterclockwise.
- Take the flute and the letter from the pouch you opened.
- Use the flute and choose the option “position your fingers on the flute, ready to play individual notes.”
- Play the following notes in this order: D, E, A, D
- A red-winged creature will appear. It will ask you a question in another language. Answer it with “K’ha’ssji’trach’ash.”
- When prompted, hand the letter to the creature.
- Once the creature is done with the letter, the item will turn into a Scroll of Revivify.
When you have the scroll, use it like any other item while you’re near Gale’s body. When the scroll is activated, a large area of effect will appear. Click on Gale’s body to bring him back to life.
When the wizard returns, he’ll thank you for your efforts. If you haven’t reached the point where Gale tells you about his “special condition,” you can use the fact that you revived him as a hook when talking to him back at camp.