The latest patch for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s Blackout mode is here, and there isn’t anything too groundbreaking about it. But the mode is getting a few important bug fixes and quality-of-life updates.
Perhaps the biggest change is coming to the mode’s armor, which is going to let a little bit more damage pass through now. While complaints about the mode have been limited, players with armor that’s a little bit too strong has come up a few times from the community.
The way Blackout’s audio works will also be changed. The system has been reworked to give players a better idea of which direction the footsteps they’re hearing are coming from, something that’s critical to staying alive in any battle royale game.
This patch was all part of Treyarch’s Oct. 30 update to Black Ops 4, which included a ton of other — non-Blackout — changes to the game. These changes are only for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One at the moment, with a PC-specific patch on the way in the near future.
- 100-Player Solos added to Featured playlist.
- Maximum player count set to 88 for Duos and Quads.
- Tweaked settings to ensure friendly teammates’ footsteps are now quieter than enemy footsteps.
- Adjusted footsteps for all Armor types in first-person and third-person to give better directionality and distance information.
- Resolved an issue that occasionally caused footsteps to be silent.
- Resolved issues that caused footsteps to become muffled when they shouldn’t be.
- Armor now allows more damage to pass through to areas of the body that have damage multipliers, such as the head or upper chest. For example, headshots now do more damage against Level 3 Armor.
- Unlocked remaining Specialist Character Missions (Battery, Firebreak, Nomad, Prophet, Ruin, Seraph)
“Item Found” Notifications
- To tag an item for your teammate, approach the Item and select the bottom center command on your Command Wheel. This will display the Item in text on your team’s HUD and highlight the item in the world for your team.
- Increased the brightness of Items when a teammate tags them as “Item Found” via the Command Wheel.
- Increased duration that Items tagged using “Item Found” are displayed in the world to your team.
Calling Card Challenges
- Resolved an issue where completing Dark Ops Challenges would not unlock their associated Calling Card.
- Resolved an issue where certain Challenges rewarded the same Calling Card.
- Resolved an issue where the Altimeter could disappear during Infiltration.
- Resolved an issue where incorrect Inventory items could be shown while spectating another player.
- Resolved an issue that allowed players to shoot through certain rocks.
- Improved visual quality of the grass.
- Resolved an issue where the After Action Report would show double damage when in Squads.
- Resolved an issue where Echelon Ranking wasn’t showing properly at Max Rank.