The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild’s shrines are a familiar new twist on the dungeons that have been winding their way through Nintendo’s storied franchise for decades. In this guide, we’ll teach you about shrines: what they are, what they do, why you should find then and how to do that.
What is a shrine?
In effect, shrines are miniature dungeons filled with puzzles. They dot the Hylian landscape, waiting for you to enter and conquer.
Every dungeon has a theme and is comprised of a puzzle (or a series of puzzles) based on that theme. Inside, your job is to get from the entrance to the man at the end who will grant you an award, using the methods that the theme hints at.
There are also occasionally enemies in spirit shrines, though none we've encountered were terribly difficult.
What’s in them for you?
There are a few reasons to seek out and complete shrines.
First, you’ll get a spirit stone for beating every shrine. You can turn those in for additional heart containers or stamina upgrades. If you want to take more damage before dying or run longer before getting exhausted (and that’s living the dream, isn’t it?), then find and complete shrines.
What else can I get from shrines?
There are other benefits shrine, too: treasure chests. They tend to be optional, so you’re free to ignore them. They tend to be hidden, so you’re likely to miss some of them if you’re not seeking them out. But if you take the time to find and (usually climb up to) open them, you’ll receive substantial rewards. In the shrines surrounding the Great Plateau, you'll tend to find some excellent and powerful weapons that will help you in the early game.
How do I find shrines?
There are more than 100 shrines in Breath of the Wild, it the sheer size of the game makes them somewhat difficult to find.
Beyond just wandering around and stumbling upon them, the easiest way to find shrines is to climb to high ground and survey the surrounding area. Climb high, press the right analog stick to pull out your Sheikah slate and look all around you.
New shrines will glow a shade of yellow (or amber, if you prefer). Shrines you’ve already beaten shrines will appear blue. When you find a new shrine, press A to place a pin, which will mark it on your Minimap and make it much easier to find.
Can I return to a shrine?
Yep! After you place your Shiekah slate in the slot outside of a shrine, the shrine becomes a fast travel location. To be clear: You don't have to beat a shrine for it to become a fast travel location. You just need to interact with it.
Even if you don’t feel like beating a shrine, this is a good reason to visit every one you find. The more shrines you find, the more fast travel locations you’ll have. The more fast travel locations you have, the quicker you can travel around Hyrule.
Tell me that last thing you want to tell me, OK?
Not a problem! Shrines also appear near important locations, too. Every horse stable in Breath of the Wild has a shrine in its vicinity. This is awesome because it lets you fast travel to get a horse whoever you want one. Find a stable, find a shrine.
Breath of the Wild
We’ve organized our shrines guide based on geographic locations. Each tower unlocks a portion of Breath of the Wild’s map, and the shrines that appear in those regions appear beneath the region names below.
GREAT PLATEAU TOWER REGION
DUELING PEAKS TOWER REGION
- Bosh Kala shrine (The Wind Guides You)
- Ta’Loh Naeg shrine (Ta’Loh Naeg’s Teaching)
- Ree Dahee shrine (Timing Is Critical)
- Hila Rao shrine (Drifting)
- Ha Dahamar shrine (The Water Guides)
- Shee Vaneer shrine (Twin Memories)
- Shee Venath shrine (Twin Memories)
- Lakna Rokee shrine (Lakna Rokee’s Blessing)
- Toto Sah shrine (Toto Sah Apparatus)
LANARYU TOWER REGION
- Daka Tuss shrine (Sunken Scoop)
- Rucco Maag shrine (Five Flames)
- Kaya Wan shrine (Shields From Water)
- Sheh Rata shrine (Speed of Light)
- Shai Yota shrine (Shai Yota’s Blessing)
- Dagah Keek shrine (The Ceremonial Song shrine quest)
- Kah Mael shrine (Drop and Rise)
- Ne'ez Yohma (Pushing Power)
- Soh Kofi shrine (A Minor Test of Strength)
HATENO TOWER REGION
- Myahm Agana shrine (Myahm Agana Apparatus)
- Kam Urog shrine (Trial of Passage)
- Dow Na’eh shrine (Three Boxes)
- Jitan Sa'mi shrine (Jitan Sa'mi’s Blessing)
- Mezza Lo shrine (The Crowned Beast shrine quest)
- Tahno O’ah shrine (Secret of the Cedars shrine quest)
- Chaas Qeta shrine (A Major Test of Strength)
LAKE TOWER REGION
- Ka’o Makagh shrine (Metal Doors Open the Way)
- Ya Naga shrine (Shatter the Heavens)
- Pumaag Nitae shrine (A Minor Test of Strength)
- Shae Katha shrine (Shae Katha’s Blessing)
- Ishto Soh shrine (Bravery’s Grasp)
- Shoqa Tatone shrine (Guardian Slideshow shrine quest)
CENTRAL TOWER REGION
- Dah Kaso shrine (A Minor Test of Strength)
- Wahgo Katta shrine (Metal Connections)
- Rota Ooh shrine (Passing of the Gates)
- Kaam Ya'tak shrine (Trial of Power)
- Katah Chuki shrine (A Minor Test of Strength)
- Noya Neha shrine (A Minor Test Of Strength)
- Saas Ko'sah shrine (A Major Test of Strength)
- Namika Ozz shrine (A Modest Test of Strength)
WOODLAND TOWER REGION
- Keo Ruug shrine (Fateful Stars)
- Daag Chokah shrine (The Lost Pilgrimage shrine quest)
- Mirro Shaz shrine (Tempered Power)
- Monya Toma (Drawing Parabolas)
- Ketoh Wawai (The Shrouded Shrine shrine quest)
- Rona Kachta shrine (Rona Kachta’s Blessing)
- Kuhn Sidajj shrine (The Trial of Second Sight shrine quest and Kuhn Sidajj’s blessing)
- Maag Halan shrine (The Test of Wood shrine quest and Maag Halan’s blessing)
RIDGELAND TOWER REGION
- Toh Yahsa shrine (Buried Secrets)
- Mogg Latan shrine (Synced Swing)
- Zalta Wa shrine (Two Orbs to Guide You)
- Shae Loya shrine (Aim for the Moment)
- Maag No'rah shrine (Maag No'rah’s Blessing)
- Sheem Dagoze shrine (The Two Ruins shrine quest)
- Mijah Rokee shrine (Under a Red Moon shrine quest)
GERUDO TOWER REGION
- Kuh Takkar shrine (Melting Ice Hazard)
- Sasa Kai shrine (A Moderate Test of Strength)
- Sho Dantu shrine (Two Bombs)
- Joloo Nah shrine (Joloo Nah Apparatus)
- Kema Kosassa shrine (A Major Test of Strength)
- Keeha Yoog shrine (Keeha Yoog’s Blessing)
FARON TOWER REGION
- Shoda Sah shrine (Impeccable Timing)
- Qukah Nata shrine (A Song of Storms Puzzle Quest)
- Shai Utoh shrine (Halt the Tilt)
- Muwo Jeem shrine (A Modest Test of Strength)
- Tawa Jinn shrine (The Three Giant Brothers shrine quest)
- Yah Rin shrine (A Weighty Decision)
- Kah Yah shrine (A Fragmented Monument shrine quest)
- Korgu Chideh shrine (Stranded on Eventide shrine quest)
AKKALA TOWER REGION
- Katosa Aug shrine (Katosa Aug Apparatus)
- Dah Hesho shrine (A Minor Test of Strength)
- Ze Kasho shrine (Ze Kasho Apparatus)
- Tutsuwa Nima shrine (A Major Test of Strength and The Spring of Power shrine quest)
- Ke'nai Shakah shrine (A Modest Test of Strength)
- Zuna Kai shrine (Zuna Kai's Blessing and The Skull's Eye shrine quest)
- Tu Ka'loh shrine (Tu Ka'loh’s Blessing and the Trail of the Labyrinth shrine quest)
- Ritaag Zumo shrine (Ritaag Zumo’s blessing and Into the Vortex shrine quest)
HEBRA TOWER REGION
- Rin Oyaa shrine (Directing the Wind)
- Sha Gehma shrine (Shift and Lock)
- Hia Miu shrine (A Major Test of Strength)
- Mozo Shenno shrine (A Major Test of Strength)
- Shada Naw shrine (Red Giveaway)
- Goma Asaagh shrine (A Major Test of Strength)
- To Quomo shrine (To Quomo’s Blessing)
- Rok Uwog shrine (Power of Reach)
- Maka Rah shrine (Steady Thy Heart)
- Lanno Kooh shrine (Lanno Kooh's Blessing)
- Dunba Taag shrine (Build and Release)
- Gee Ha'rah shrine (Tandem)
- Qaza Tokki shrine (Trial on the Cliff shrine quest and Qaza Tokki’s blessing)
WASTELAND TOWER REGION
- Daqo Chisay shrine (The Whole Picture)
- Jee Noh shrine (On the Move)
- Kay Noh shrine (A Minor Test of Strength)
- Dako Tah shrine (Electric Path)
- Tho Kayu shrine (Tho Kayu’s Blessing)
- Hawa Koth shrine (The Current Solution)
- Dila Maag shrine (The Desert Labyrinth shrine quest and South Lomei Labyrinth)
- Raqa Zunzo shrine (The Undefeated Champ shrine quest)
- Kema Zoos shrine (The Silent Swordswomen shrine quest)
- Suma Sahma shrine (Secret of the Snowy Peaks shrine quest)
- Korsh O'hu shrine (The Seven Heroines shrine quest)
- Misae Suma shrine (The Perfect Drink shrine quest)
TABANTHA TOWER REGION
- Akh Va'quot shrine (Windmills)
- Kah Okeo shrine (Wind Guide)
- Sha Warvo shrine (Path of Hidden Winds)
- Tena Ko’sah shrine (A Major Test of Strength)
- Bareeda Naag shrine (The Ancient Rito Song shrine quest)
- Voo Lota shrine (Recital at Warbler's Nest shrine quest)
ELDIN TOWER REGION
- Mo’a Keet shrine (Metal Makes a Path)
- Sah Dahaj shrine (Power of Fire)
- Qua Raym shrine (A Balanced Approach)
- Shae Mo'sah shrine (Swinging Flames)
- Shora Hah shrine (Blue Flame)
- Daqa Koh shrine (Stalled Flight)
- Gorae Torr shrine (The Gut Check Challenge shrine quest)
- Tah Muhl shrine (Passing the Flame)
- Kayra Mah shrine (Greedy Hill and A Brother's Roast shrine quest)