The third season of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is here, and it’s three new maps, two new guns, and a new Operator ... and that’s just on day one. There will be new multiplayer modes, another new map, new weapons, and a few extra additions to Call of Duty: Warzone as the season progresses.
Modern Warfare’s new maps are Hovec Sawmill and Aniyah Incursion, as well as Talsik Backlot, a remake of one of Call of Duty 4’s most popular maps. These maps are available in any of the game’s multiplayer game modes, and have also been added to the matchmaking pool.
Later on in the season, Infinity Ward will add a map called Hardhat to the game, which looks like a remake of the Modern Warfare 3 map of the same name. As for guns, season 3 adds the SKS, a new long-range marksman rifle, and the Renetti pistol.
Along with this season’s new additions, Modern Warfare’s latest patch also takes aim at balancing some of the game’s shotguns by giving them a few buffs. The Model 680’s slugs now have a tighter pellet spread, and the hip-fire spread for the VLK Rogue Shotgun is a bit tighter as well. Along with these two specific buffs, all shotguns will now have decreased spread when you aim down your sights, so they’ll be a little bit more accurate when it matters most.
According to Infinity Ward’s season 3 road map, there are plans for a new Warzone game mode called Scopes and Scatter Guns later this season. While there isn’t a description of this mode, it sounds a lot like snipers and shotguns, which would be a huge change from Warzone’s normal assault rifle-heavy meta.
For a look at all the changes coming to Modern Warfare in the season 3 patch, you can find the full patch notes below.
- Fixed an issue where “The Line Breaker” variant of the EBR could out perform the base version of the same weapon
- Players with the “Cherry Blossom” variant of the Akimbo handguns could have broken animations while ADS on ladders. This has been fixed
- Firing a smoke grenade with the under barrel 40mm smokescreen launcher did not emit any smoke from the grenade. This has been fixed
- Attaching the Sniper Scope to the MK2 Carbine while in the Gunsmith would show a white, opaque lens. This has been fixed.
- Tightened the pellet spread on the Slug 6-R Mags for the Model 680
- Akimbo weapons now start with 2 extra magazines of ammunition instead of 1
- Tightened up the hip spread on the VLK Rogue Shotgun
- Decreased ADS spread for shotgun slugs
- Added descriptions to slugs noting that longer barrels and chokes improve ADS accuracy
- Updating names of weapons to match weapon logos
725: “FTAC Equilibrium” renamed to “Cronen Equilibrium”
SA87: “FSS SA87 Heavy Stock Pro” renamed to “XRK SA87 Heavy Stock Pro”
RAM-7: “XRK Ranger” renamed to “FSS Ranger
Grau 5.56: “FSS 26.4” Archangel” renamed to “Tempus 26.4” Archangel”
- Lowered the max amount of XP and score given for Decoy Grenade assists
- Backend fixes to help Memory Error 13-71 issues. If you’re still experiencing this error, please reach out to Activision Customer Support
- Fixed a bug where more than one dog would be present in the squad walk in the main multiplayer menu
- As an owner of a regiment, players could sometimes see an error when selecting another player in their regiment. This has been fixed
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to skip cutscenes in the campaign while using keyboard and mouse controls
- Fixed a bug where players were sometimes unable to see Clan Tags for other players in the Social Menu after restarting app, or going through a power cycle
- Fixed an issue where some players could encounter graphical corruptions, causing their screen to have a black ‘shadow’ that followed them. This has been fixed
- Fix for an area on St. Petrograd that lacked collision and allowed the Recon Drone to fly out of bounds
- Fixed a bug that made clan tags appear twice
- Fixed a bug that could prevent players from speaking to their team in a custom match if they switched teams after the match has started
- Lowered the volume of the plane audio during infil
- Lowered the audio once you enter the Gulag
- Reduced the volume of occluded far and distant weapons
- Some footstep sounds while ADS and crouched were cut short on the distance you could hear them, depending on the surface type
- Added on screen text to call out when a player’s vehicle is damaged
- Operation Headhunter: Fix for an error that could occur after launching the drone
- Operation Headhunter: Fixed a bug where the minimap could overlap the Objectives on screen
- Fall damage is now the same in Co-Op as it is in Warzone
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.