After a week of delay, Call of Duty: Warzone’s new season has arrived. Season 4’s new patch brings a few changes to the game including new mid-match events, new weapons to loot, and a fix that should make the game’s file size slightly smaller.
The biggest change to Warzone in this patch are the new mid-match events. These are in-game events that have a chance to randomly happen — or not happen — in every Warzone match. The patch adds three events, each of which does wildly different things that can completely change the course of a match:
- Jailbreak — All dead players, even those that are only spectating, come back to life.
- Fire Sale — For sixty seconds, everything in the Buy Stations is up to 80% off (except loadout drops). During a Fire Sale you can also buy back teammates for free.
- Supply Choppers — Heavily armored helicopters fly onto the map. If they’re destroyed they’ll drop all kinds of bonus loot like UAVs, armor boxes, gas masks, grenade launchers, and cash.
The patch also brings in new weapons that players can loot, with updated blueprints and attachments. It also attempts to reduce the size of the game on consoles by making future patches slightly smaller, which should be a welcome change to anyone who’s had to clean half the games off of their hard drives just to make space for Warzone.
For a full look at all the changes coming to Call of Duty: Warzone in the season 4 patch, you can find the patch notes below.
Call of Duty: Warzone season 4 patch notes
Weapon Mastery Challenges
Once you’ve unlocked Gold for a weapon, Mastery Challenges become available. There’s 8 Challenges per weapon, each granting their own rewards, with 4 Playercards and 4 Emblems up for grabs. You’ll need to make your way through 2 Kill Challenges, 2 Headshot Challenges, and 4 additional Challenges that must be done in order (Gold, Platinum, Damascus, Obsidian). Completing all challenges for 51 weapons unlocks a badass special Sticker and Playercard!
Warzone In-Match Events
Events can occur during Warzone Battle Royale matches and have an impact on the strategy and approach to gameplay. Events can happen in any given match without advance notice. When they happen events will always occur mid-game. E.g. after the first drop kit and before the Gulag closes. Only one event type will occur in a given match, so familiarize yourself with three new event types, available at the start of Season Four – ‘Jailbreak’, ‘Fire Sale’, and ‘Supply Chopper’.
- When a ‘Jailbreak’ occurs, all players that have been eliminated will be released back into the match. Whether you were waiting for your 1v1 in the Gulag, or had been relegated to a spectator, now you’ll have another chance. You will get a one-minute notice before a Jailbreak event happens to find additional armor or secure a weapon for your returning teammates. Jailbreak events can occur any time during the middle game of a Battle Royale match, so it may
- be worth it to spectate, just in case. Be mindful that when a Jailbreak occurs, it’s not just your teammates that are coming back, but tons of additional enemies.
- A ‘Fire Sale’ is an in-game event that temporarily discounts most of the items at a Buy Station up to 80% or even gives items out completely free. A Fire Sale is the perfect time to pick up a UAV, Armor Box for your squad, or even a lethal Killstreak. During a Fire Sale buying back a fallen teammate is completely free. If your short on in-match Cash, a Fire Sale might be the best chance to redeploy a squadmate. Note that even during a Fire Sale, Loadout Drops are not discounted. Fire Sales only last sixty seconds, so expect Buy Stations to be crowded and prepare for a fight.
- A ‘Supply Choppers’ event brings a non-lethal, but heavily armored helicopter to Verdansk. The helicopter will have a lot of health, and it will require a few rounds of bullets and maybe a rocket or two to bring it down. The helicopter will not shoot at you, but make sure that while you’re distracted enemy teams don’t take advantage. Once you destroy the Supply Chopper, it will drop high quality loot for players to pick up. This loot includes three UAVS, two armor boxes and munitions boxes, a gas mask, a grenade launcher, and tons of Cash at a minimum. Supply Choppers leave after a certain period of time, so if you want to take one out start firing right away. Remember, that after taking down a Supply Chopper, you have to collect the loot. Watch out for enemy teams who might try to take you out during the collection or steal your hard-earned rewards.
Contraband Contract System
Contraband is a new, rare contract with a permanent Blueprint Reward. Contraband contracts have a chance to spawn after a previous contract is completed. If you see the Contraband briefcase, hurry up and collect it. Once you have it, take it to the designated Helicopter Extraction location to call in the helicopter. The player carrying the briefcase must deposit it into the helicopter drop-bag to complete the mission. If you kill a player carrying this briefcase you can steal it complete the contract for your team. Be on the lookout for them on your Tac Map!
- Barakett Promenade has been added to Ground War!
- Trench Mosh Pit (2v2)!
- Scrapyard 24/7!
- Blueprint Gunfight!
- Blood Money
- Warzone Rumble
- The Season 4 download is going to be large. In order to reduce the overall disc space that MW and WZ take up, we’re compressing a bunch of assets. Once installed, the S4 launch will only take up an additional 4GB on consoles for all of the new content.
- We’re continuing to sweep all assets to make size reductions where we can, and also further optimize future patches for size. If helpful, one reminder for console players, you can uninstall the content packs for modes that you’re not playing if you want to free up space.
- You can learn how to do so HERE.
- Fix for some players not receiving their Season 3 emblem
- Fixes to help reduce players encountering Error Code 13-71. If you still experience this after today’s update, please reach out to Activision Customer Support
- Fix for a bug where the Ghost Perk was not hiding players from the Heartbeat Sensor when viewing the Killcam
- Fixed an issue where some players were unable to activate a Nuke after getting the appropriate number of kills
- Fix for a bug where the 4th Operator Mission for Talon, “Complete 2 Warzone Plunder Matches” was not tracking as intended
- Fix for an issue where some players could find long wait times when attempting to load into Ground War matches
- Fix for a bug where neutral Hardpoints were appearing yellow instead of grey
- Various exploit fixes across multiple maps
- Fix for the Officer Challenge, “Get 20 kill while crouched” not tracking properly for some players
- Fixed a bug where the white health regen was triggering on downing other players even if Quick Fix wasn’t equipped
- Fix for an exploit where players could sometimes call in duplicate UAVs
- Added new weapon perks to the Specialist Bonus (the bonus earned after getting 8 kills while specialist is active): Frangible-Disabling, Frangible-Wounding, Mo’Money, Recon, Heavy Hitter, FMJ, Presence of Mind
- Fixed a bug where players were unable to perform executions when on some elevated surfaces
- Fixes to help prevent an issue where players were able to move before the match countdown timer completed
- Fixes to help prevent against black graphical corruption issues some players were seeing
- Fix for the “For the Cause” grip tape not appearing properly on the base M4
- Improved stability fixes for PC
- Fixes to help prevent issues with voice chat
- Lowered ammo count for reload warning on belt fed LMG
- Fixed bug with HDR and Sleight of Hand where reloading would not give ammo to the player
- Loot Update: New weapons and updated Blueprints! Be on the lookout for the Fennec, CR-56 Amax, Renetti, and more!
- Fixed a bug where the Recon Contract could spawn inside an Ammo Supply cache, making it unusable
- After completing the Contraband Mission and calling in the extract helicopter, players could shoot the helicopter without receiving hitmarkers and the helicopter would remain on screen indefinitely
- Fixed a bug where players were able to drop their weapon in the Gulag
- Fix for an exploit where players were able to duplicate Self Revive kits
- Fix for a bug where a player was stuck in 3rd person gameplay
- Daily Challenges are now displayed alongside Multiplayer and Warzone challenges
- Fixed an issue where unlocking an Operator skin in Co-Op would not unlock the base skin for that Operator as well
- Fixed a bug where the game would not end correctly if the last player alive used Team Revive immediately before dying
Special Operations: Survival
- Fix for being able to duplicate the Juggernaut Suit Munition minigun
- Fix for rare instances of waves not ending properly
- Fixed an exploit on St. Petrograd where players could fully hide from soldiers behind a bar
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.