“Up ‘n’ Down Desert” is the eighth level of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker’s third episode. Every level has three Super Gems and one Power Star. Each also has a Bonus Challenge to complete.
It’s possible to complete this level’s Bonus Challenge while collecting the Super Gems in “Up ‘n’ Down Desert.” Below, you’ll find a guide to help you collect everything. You can follow along step-by-step from the beginning, or our helpful section titles and images will let you jump straight to any area you’re struggling with.
Super Gem 1
- When the level starts, head to the left across the front and hit one of the P-switches.
- The stone pillars will drop down. Pull the Piranha Sprout so you don’t have to worry about it, then collect Super Gem 1.
Super Gem 2
- Head back to the right across the front of the level, then turn and head up the ramp. Stop just before the gap with the Piranha Sprout.
- Pull the Sprout, then cross through the gap. Run up the ramp on the other side of the wall, then loop around and hit the P-switch on top of the wall.
- Continue along to pick up Super Gem 2.
The Bonus Challenge for this level is to only use eight P-switches. You’ve used two already. You’ll have to use the remaining six to get to Super Gem 3, but there’s a trick. Follow the steps below to see how it’s done.
- Step off of the wall where you picked up Super Gem 2 and onto the P-switch below.
- Head over to the Z-shaped blocks in the back corner.
- Hit the P-switch in the corner to lift the blocks, then pluck the Sprout there so you don’t have to worry about it.
- Head all the way back across the Z-shaped blocks and hit the P-switch closest to the fence on the wall.
- Continue forward and hit the other P-switch on top of the wall.
- Run across the blocks and hit the first P-switch to (finally) be able to get past.
- Around the corner do not hit the next P-switch you come to. Instead, loop around it and come at the ramp from the side — you’ll be able to step onto the ramp without hitting the switch.
Super Gem 3
- Continue along the fence and hit the next P-switch you come to. This will lift a Piranha Sprout to your level.
- Go around the corner and pluck the Sprout.
- Head back to the fence and toss the Sprout to collect Super Gem 3.
- Continue around the corner and pick up the Power Star.
When the level opens, spin the camera so you’re looking at the right side. Watch the P-switch closest to the edge for Pixel Toad to run by.