Captain Brineybeard in one of the earlier fights on Inkwell Isle III. Once you enter the space, take a right and follow the path until you reach the dock. Here you’ll see Captain Brineybeard’s beautiful vessel. Hop aboard and face this fearsome pirate captain in “Shootin N’ Lootin.”
Phase 1: Captain Brineybeard
Captain Brineybeard is a relatively easy fight, but it does force you to do a lot to avoid damage. All of his attacks have easy tells if you know what to look for.
There are a few things you need to prepare for in this fight:
- Barrel bash: Throughout every phase, that stupid, grinning barrel will loom overhead. If you pass under it, it’ll smash down on top of you. Never stop under the barrel. This is not hard, but it’s tedious. If you ever lose track of the barrel, chances are it is about to kill you.
- Octo cannon: Brineybeard only has one attack: He pulls out an octopus and makes it spit at you. Thankfully, three of its four bullets are pink and parryable. (The other is yellow.) This is a fast way to get your super up.
- Shark: When Brineybeard whistles, a giant shark may appear. You can tell that it’ll be shark and not one of the other sea critters by the giant fin that appears in the background. Stand close to the boat to avoid getting chomped.
- Sea dogs: When Brineybeard whistles, legion of evil sea dogs may appear. The tell here is the submarine scope that appears next to the boat. These dogs are easy to kill and come from the front of the dock, so take a second and step back.
- Squid: When Brineybeard whistles, of the the things that can appear is a big squid. There is no tell for this one but it is also non-lethal. The squid will spill ink everywhere, making it harder to see. Attack him enough and he’ll go away.
The easiest place to damage Brineybeard is right next to him. Once you have fired into him enough, the next phase will start.
Phase 2: Ship spit
The only difference here is that Captain Brineybeard’s ship will start spitting cannonballs at you, adding yet another thing you need to pay attention to. Watch for the ship to pucker its lip, and jump when the ball comes out.
After you beat Brineybeard, it’s time to fight the real boss.
Phase 3: Bad boat
The boat will open its maw wide, throwing Brineybeard off into the endless sea. To kill the boat, you’ll need to attack its uvula in the back of its throat. Jump up and down to make your shots count. The barrel is still here so watch out for that, too.
The boat has two attacks. The first is a fireball the moves in a spiral fashion. Jump or duck to avoid it. The second attack is a big beam. When the mouth shuts for a moment, duck down and the beam will go right over you.
Once you shoot the uvula enough, you’ll beat the boat.