Solstice 2023 is the second edition of Destiny 2’s summer holiday event after its major overhaul in 2022. What was once Solstice of Heroes — a name synonymous with the Destiny grind — is now just “Solstice,” like Cher or Prince. And, much like last year, it’s a far simpler version of the event than it once was.
Still, it’s a chance to get some new, high-stat armor and shop around for some summer cosmetics.
In this Destiny 2 guide, we’ll walk you through how to earn Silver Leaves, Silver Ash, Kindling, and some of the best armor in the game.
Solstice 2023 runs from July 18 to Aug. 8.
How to earn Kindling
Solstice 2023 is all about upgrading your Sunlit armor with Kindling and Silver Ash. Silver Ash is easy enough to come by, and we’ll go over it and Silver Laves in more detail later on in this guide. Kindling, on the other hand, is a much more finite resource, and the most important one for fully upgrading your armor so it can A) have better stats and B) glow!
Kindling comes exclusively from Event Challenges, which, like all holiday events, ask you to do specific tasks in exchange for rewards. There are 19 Event Challenges in Solstice 2023, 18 of which reward either +1 or +2 Kindling. Many of the events are the same as they were in 2022, although the amount of stuff you need to accomplish per challenge has been reduced across the board.
You’ll need six Kindling to fully upgrade an individual piece of armor (with the exception of the class items, which have no upgrades). You’ll need 24 Kindling to fully upgrade all four pieces of armor, which is the exact number you’ll have once you complete every Event Challenge listed below. However, unlike when this event was Solstice of Heroes, these upgrades persist between all classes and other pieces of Sunlit armor in the same slot. So fully upgrading your gear is account-wide, not per character.
All Solstice 2023 Event Challenges
You can find all the Event Challenges in-game via your quest menu, but we’ve also listed them here for your convenience:
- Bashing Success (+1 Kindling) - Complete the Bonfire Bash activity
- Good Ignite (+1 Kindling) - Defeat (15) Ignition Carries in Bonfire Bash
- Torch the Taken (+1 Kindling) - Defeat (15) Taken in Bonfire Bash
- Fuel for the Fire (+1 Kindling) - Stoke the flames in the Bonfire Bash (35)
- Ash Tray (+1 Kindling) - Collect (350) Silver Ash
- Fuel for the Fire 2 (+2 Kindling) - Stoke more flames in the Bonfire Bash (70)
- Fuel for the Fire 3 (+2 Kindling) - Stoke even more flames in the Bonfire Bash (100)
- Like Wildfire (+1 Kindling) - Defeat targets anywhere in the system. Defeating Guardians awards bonus progress
- Superlative (+1 Kindling) - Defeat targets with Super abilities
- Forged in Flame (+1 Kindling) - Defeat (100) opposing Guardians in any activity
- Hand Lighter (+2 Kindling) - Defeat targets with hand cannons, shotguns, and rocket launchers
- Burn them Down (+2 Kindling) - Defeat (40) bosses anywhere in the system
- Raking the Coals (+1 Kindling) - Complete playlist activities to earn Silver Leaves
- Dare to Dream (+1 Kindling) - Complete runs of the Blind Well or Dares of Eternity to earn Silver Leaves
- Brightfall (+1 Kindling) - Complete Vanguard Ops or Nightfalls to earn Silver Leaves
- Fire of Competition (+1 Kindling) - Complete (10) matches in Crucible or Gambit playlists to earn Silver Leaves
- A Spark in the Dark (+2 Kindling) - Complete rounds in Altars of Sorrow or Salvage to earn Silver Leaves
- In the Hot Seat (+2 Kindling) - Complete activities on Neptune to earn Silver Leaves
- Flamekeeper (no Kindling) - Title (Flamekeeper) claimed
If you earned the Flamekeeper title last year, all you’ll need to do is gild the title this year. Unfortunately that does involve doing all of the Event Challenges again, as you’ll need a set of fully upgraded armor. Note that you can earn Flamekeeper for the first time this year and gild it in the same year.
Here are the Triumphs you’ll need to complete to gild Flamekeeper:
- Flamekeeper - Earn the Flamekeeper title by completing all Event Challenges
- Bonfire Dash - Fully stoke the bonfire in the Bonfire Bash activity (30)
- Inextinguishable - Complete the Bonfire Bash activity without dying
- From the Ashes - Fully upgrade multiple pieces (4) of Sunlit armor
- Sunlight ‘Em Up - Complete dungeons, raids, Master or Grandmaster Nightfalls, or Trials wins while wearing a fully upgraded Sunlit armor set
How to earn Silver Ash and Silver Leaves
Silver Leaves are the primary currency for Solstice. Every activity in the game — seasonal, playlist, dungeons, raid, etc. — all drop Silver Leaves for you to collect in your inventory. But these Silver Leaves are unusable on their own, and you’ll instead need to transform them into Silver Ash via the Bonfire Bash activity.
The activity is straightforward enough, and is relatively unchanged from years past. Just kill the big Elite enemies that spawn, pick up their orbs, and throw it at the pyre in the middle of the EAZ. The more you stoke the flames, the more Silver Leaves you’ll burn and the more Silver Ash you’ll walk away with.
The most efficient way to play here is to stack up as many Silver Leaves as you can (you cap out at 100) and then only play Bonfire Bash when you’re ready to burn a ton of Leaves at once. That way you can focus your time on collecting as many Silver Leaves as possible.
The fastest way to do this — at least initially — is to just complete the rest of the Event Challenges in the Solstice event. All of the activities the game asks you to complete will give you Silver Leaves, so do them and you’ll walk away with multiple inventories full.
Basically, if you’re playing Destiny, you’re earning Silver Leaves. And if you have Silver Leaves while playing Bonfire Bash, you’re earning Silver Ash.
As for what to do with your heaps of Silver Ash, you’ll need it to upgrade the stats on your armor as you upgrade the pieces with Kindling. Then, once your armor pieces are complete, you can use Silver Ash to reroll the stats on your fully upgraded gear.
How to earn new Solstice armor and weapons
If you’re looking for better armor with different stats, or one of the three Solstice-exclusive weapons — including the first ever Strand rocket launcher, Crowning Duologue — all you need to do is complete Bonfire Bash. When you finish the activity, you’ll get a bunch of different loot pieces, with chances for Sunlit armor and each of the three weapons.
You can also buy back some Sunlit armor pieces from Eva Levante in the Tower if you accidentally delete them.
Tips and tricks for Solstice 2023
Destiny 2’s holiday events can be a bit of a drag — especially in years where they’re largely the same as the year prior. And with so many other amazing games out in 2023, we could forgive you for wanting to get Solstice 2023 out of the way as quickly as possible.
To help you out, we’ve compiled some tips and tricks for how to finish Solstice as quickly as possible this year, courtesy of Skarrow9, a great Destiny 2 YouTuber who has already finished this year’s grind. You can check out his complete tips video above, but here are some of the highlights:
- Prioritize other Event Challenges over Bonfire Bash challenges
- Complete your Crucible matches during the week of July 18th is possible, as Team Scorched is the rotator and is extremely fast compared to other modes
- Play the Hero Nightfall rather than basic Strikes
- Play Blind Well over Dares of Eternity
- Play the Altars of Sorrow over Salvage
- Complete the Root of Nightmares raid rather than Lost Sectors in Neomuna
- You only need to wear one Sunlit armor piece to earn Silver Leaves, but you should wear all Sunlit pieces when playing Bonfire Bash, as it earns you more Silver Ash
- The better you play during Bonfire Bash, the fewer you’ll need to do, so play with friends