Destiny 2: Shadowkeep is full of new additions, but one of the most exciting is the new seasonal artifact mod system, which allows players to unlock mods for their weapons and armor after they unlock and upgrade the new seasonal artifact.
The seasonal artifact for Season of the Undying is called The Gate Lord’s Eye, and you can unlock it by leveling up your Season Pass to level 7. The season pass gains levels automatically using the experience you gain from getting kills or finishing missions.
Once you have the artifact unlocked, you can start upgrading it and purchasing mods.
Each of the artifact’s mods costs one artifact unlock. You can earn more by leveling up the seasonal artifact with the same XP you get for doing everything in Destiny 2.
The earliest available artifact mods will only do things like give you more Glimmer for killing certain types of enemies, but the later mods will grant larger bonuses like shield-piercing rounds or causing finishers to grant heavy ammo.
The artifact has five tiers of mods to unlock, arranged in columns. You unlock each new tier when you purchase a certain number of mods from the previous tiers. You unlock the first tier as soon as you get the artifact when you have no mods. The next tier comes at one mod. The next tier unlocks at four mods. Then seven mods. You unlock the final tier once you’ve purchased 10 artifact mods.
The Gate Lord’s Eye artifact mods
Here’s a look at all the artifact mods that are available from The Gate Lord’s Eye.
Tier 1 mods (unlocked at zero artifact mods)
- Dark Glimmer — Defeating Hive combatants with finishers grants extra Glimmer.
- Labyrinth Miner — Defeating Vex Minotaurs grants weapons parts.
- Biomonetizer — Defeating Hive combatants grants extra Glimmer.
- Circuit Scavenger — Defeating Vex combatants grants extra Glimmer.
- Dissection Matrix — Defeating Vex Hobgoblins grants destination materials.
Tier 2 mods (Unlocked at one artifact mods)
- Anti-Barrier Rounds — Shield-piercing rounds designed to bypass combatant defenses. Strong against Barrier Champions. (Only usable on Auto Rifles and Submachine Guns.)
- Anti-Barrier Hand Cannon — Shield-piercing rounds designed to bypass combatant defenses. Strong against Barrier Champions.
- Overload Rounds — Uninterrupted fire grants bullets that cause disruption, delaying ability energy regeneration and lowering combatant damage output. Strong against Overload Champions. (Only usable on Auto Rifles and Submachine Guns.)
- Overload Arrowheads — Damage by fully drawn arrows causes disruption, delaying ability energy regeneration and lowering combatant damage output. Strong against Overload Champions.
- Unstoppable Hand Cannon — Aiming down sights loads a powerful explosive payload that staggers unshielded enemies. Strong against Unstoppable Champions.
Tier 3 mods (Unlocked at four artifact mods)
- Enhanced Hand Cannon Loader — Greatly increases reload speed of Hand Cannons
- Enhanced Submachine Gun Loader — Greatly increases reload speed of Submachine Guns.
- Enhanced Bow Loader — Greatly increases the nocking speed of arrows.
- Enhanced Fusion Rifle Loader — Greatly increases reload speed of Fusion Rifles.
- Enhanced Auto Rifle Loader — Greatly increases reload speed of Auto Rifles.
Tier 4 mods (Unlocked at seven artifact mods)
- Breach Refractor — Grants grenade energy on final blows with shield-piercing weapons or when a member of your fireteam shuts down a Barrier Champion’s ability.
- Ballistic Combo — Grants melee energy on final blows with shield-piercing weapons or when a member of your fireteam shuts down a Barrier Champion’s ability.
- Overload Grenade — Void grenades cause disruption, delaying ability energy regeneration and lowering combatant damage output. Strong against Overload Champions.
- Disruptor Spike — Improves the effects of disruption, lowering the combatants’ damage output even further.
- Unstoppable Melee — Arc melee abilities stagger unshielded enemy combatants. Strong against Unstoppable Champions.
Tier 5 mods (Unlocked at 10 artifact mods)
- Heavy Finisher — Finishers generate Heavy ammo. Requires one-half of your Super energy.
- Oppressive Darkness — Causing damage with a Void grenade adds a weaken effect to enemies.
- Arc Battery — Grants overshield and reduced cooldown during activation for all Arc class abilities.
- Thunder Coil — Grants bonus damage for all Arc melee abilities and refunds Super energy on finisher final blows.
- From the Depths — Grants bonus Void Super damage if cast while critically wounded. Lasts until the end of the Super activation.