If you’ve played a Far Cry game in the last few years, you know just how important having the right skills can be. Far Cry 5 is no different, but given the sheer number of options, you’re liable to be a bit overwhelmed when you start playing. We’ve compiled the full list of skills, as well as the skills we’d recommend trying to unlock first. (They’re bold in the lists below.) Some of these may be locked until you progress far enough in the story, but a large portion should be accessible from the jump.
5 Perks/Skills Should You Unlock First
Additional Holster (8 SP) - Carry a 3rd weapon of any type in your weapon wheel.
A good rule of thumb is that you want to have a good long-range weapon, a good short-range weapon and a good silenced weapon. Being able to carry three guns at once will make this a reality. Once you unlock the fourth slot (after you finish one of the three regions), we recommend bringing along some sort of explosive.
Parachute (1 SP) - Unlocks a parachute to deploy while falling.
Falling out of a plane without one sucks. If you’re planning on spending a lot of time in the air, unlock the wing suit right after that, as it’ll give you way more mobility in the air.
Sneaky Sprint (4 SP) - Move much faster while crouched.
Stealth is a big part of Far Cry 5, and the default crouched movement speed is comically slow. Sneaky Sprint will essentially double this speed, letting you move around the world a lot faster.
Takedown Mastery (6 SP) - Unlocks chain, melee throw and sidearm takedowns.
Alongside Sneaky Sprint, Takedown Mastery is great if you’re trying to remain unseen. You’ll unlock the ability to silently take out groups of enemies standing close to one another, while also being able to land on them from above to take them out.
Grapple (1 SP) - Unlocks the grapple tool. Find grapple spots in the world to climb.
This cheap skill unlocks the grappling hook. It’s somewhat useful for world-exploration, but it’s way more important to unlock if you want to explore prepper stashes. Many of them require the grappling hook, and at one skill point it’s an easy pick early on.
Survivalist skill tree
- Human Fish (1 SP) - Swim faster, hold your breath for longer underwater.
- Fisher King (4 SP) - Fish will tire more quickly. Unlocks new flies for heavier fish.
- King of the Jungle (6 SP) - Reduced animal attack damage. Predators (except Judges) prioritize nearby enemies over you. Prey animals flee less from you.
- Repair Torch (5 SP) - Repair cars and open safes
- Kick-Ass Binoculars (7 SP) - Tag enemies and animals through solid objects.
- Harvest Master (8 SP) - Double your loot reward from plants and animals
- Health Boost 1 (6 SP) - Increase max health by 150%
- Health Boost 2 (7 SP) - Increase max health by 200%
- Health Boost 3 (8 SP) - Increase max health by 250%
- Heath Boost 4 (9 SP) - Increase max health by 300%
Why Repair Torch?
Anyone who’s played Fallout knows how infuriating it is to find a safe and not be able to open it. Same goes for Far Cry 5. As an added bonus, being able to repair busted cars before you roll into battle can be crucial.
Why Kick-Ass Binoculars?
Stealth is hugely important in Far Cry games, and being able to spot enemies through walls is a major upgrade that’ll keep you alive as you siege enclaves around the county.
Why Harvest Master?
As much fun as collecting herbs is, we know you’d rather get back to the action as soon as possible. Harvest Master will cut down on your foraging time significantly.
Renegade skill tree
- Parachute (1 SP) - Unlocks a parachute to deploy while falling.
- Wingsuit (2 SP) - Unlocks the wingsuit for gliding fun.
- Black Market (6 SP) - Craftable explosives are available to buy at shops.
- Vehicle Buster (7 SP) - Bullets do more damage to vehicles.
- Saboteur (7 SP) - Approach a vehicle’s hood and tamper to set it on fire and make it explode.
- Booby Trap (7 SP) - Approach a vehicle’s hood and tamper to make it explode on next collision.
- Auto Repair (6 SP) - All vehicles you drive will automatically repair themselves.
- Heavy Weapon Mastery (6 SP) - Reload, aim and switch LMGs, launchers and the flamethrower faster. Sway and bullet spread reduced.
- Rifle Mastery (7 SP) - Reload, aim and switch rifles and sniper rifles faster. Swamp and bullet spread are reduced.
- Weapons Pro (6 SP) - Reload, aim and switch SMGs and shotguns faster. Sway and bullet spread reduced.
Falling out of a plane is more fun with one.
Why Wing Suit?
Falling out of a plane is especially more fun with one.
Why Rifle Mastery?
Paired with the ability to tag enemies from long range, being able to snipe your way to success is super helpful. Rifles are also the most versatile of these weapon skills, useful at both medium and long range. Obviously if you prefer another weapon type, though, feel free!
Assassin skill tree
- Grapple (1 SP) - Unlocks the grapple tool. Find grapple spots in the world to climb.
- Nimble Fingers (4 SP) - It is now quicker to craft items, sabotage or booby trap vehicles, disable alarms and open safes.
- Sneaky Sprint (4 SP) - Move much faster while crouched.
- Master Blaster (5 SP) - Required components for explosives reduced by 50%.
- Takedown Mastery (6 SP) - Unlocks chain, melee throw and sidearm takedowns.
- Ghost (7 SP) - Make less noise when moving. Falling damage reduced.
- Throwback (7 SP) - Throw back incoming projectiles like grenades and dynamite.
- Locksmith (6 SP) - Lockpick safes and doors that do not require a keycard.
- Close combat mastery (6 SP) - Melee weapons are more sturdy. Reload, aim and switch handguns and melee weapons faster. Sway and bullet spread reduced.
- Primal Mastery (6 SP) - Reload, aim and switch bows and slingshots faster.
Apart from being super cheap to unlock, it’ll let you access areas that would ordinarily be a pain in the ass to climb to.
Why Sneaky Sprint?
If you play these games stealthily like we do, you know you’ll spend most of your time crouching. Being able to move faster during those moments is choice.
Why Takedown Mastery?
Again, for stealthier players, being able to one-shot bigger enemies up close and silently is a big asset.
Stealth is good, people.
Why, because you like stumbling around for door keys?
Why Primal Mastery?
Silenced weapons generally take a while to unlock. The bow, on the other hand, is something you’ll find early in the game. Being better with it will make you feel way more badass.
Prepper skill tree
- Close Combat Gear Bag (1 SP) - Carry more handgun ammo and melee weapons.
- Journey Pack (7 SP) - Carry more items in your inventory, including up to 5 medkits.
- Tactical Ammo Bag (8 SP) - Carry more SMG and shotgun ammo.
- Quiver (8 SP) - Carry more normal, incendiary and explosive arrows.
- Rifle Ammo Bag (9 SP) - Carry more rifle and 50 cal ammo.
- Additional Holster (8 SP) - Carry a 3rd weapon of any type in your weapon wheel.
- Weapons Collector (9 SP) - Carry a 4th weapon of any type in your weapon wheel.
- Heavy Ammo Bag (9 SP) - Carry more LMG, flamethrower, rocket launcher and grenade launcher ammo.
- Special Ammo Bag (9 SP) - Carry more armor piercing, incendiary, and special rocket launcher ammo.
- Throwables Bag (9 SP) - Carry more explosives, throwing knives and bait.
Why Journey Pack?
Having to run back to your base to drop off gear you’ve collected is never fun. Nor is dying because you only had a couple of health packs. You can elevate both annoyances with one skill.
Why Additional Holster?
A good rule of thumb is that you want to have a good long-range weapon, a good short-range weapon and a good silenced weapon. Being able to carry three guns at once will make this a reality. Once you unlock the fourth slot, we recommend bringing along some sort of explosive.
Leader skill tree
Skills in the Leader tree are optional, but if you super love one of these companions, we won’t stop you.
- Boomer (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Sharky (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Peaches (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Jess (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Grace (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Hurk (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Nick Rye (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Adelaide (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Cheeseburger (4 SP) - Returns faster after being injured.
- Leadership (6 SP) - Unlock an additional slot in your squad to let you play with two Guns for Hire in single player.