Fortnite’s first journey into licensed tie-ins begins with today’s launch of the game’s Avengers: Infinity War limited-time event in Battle Royale mode, called the Infinity Gauntlet Limited Time Mashup. That’s a lot of words to say a simple thing: Thanos is here.
Below is what you need to know from the game’s patch notes to start playing. And a quick warning: You can only jump into the Infinity Gauntlet mode as a solo player. No squads in this event, at least at launch.
What does the Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos look like in-game?
Watch this brief teaser to find out.
How do I get the Infinity Gauntlet in Fortnite?
Here are the instructions, straight from the patch notes:
- Early in the match, a meteor will land in the storm safe zone, delivering the Infinity Gauntlet.
- Any player who uses the Infinity Gauntlet will transform into Thanos.
- If Thanos is eliminated, the Gauntlet will fall to the ground, free for the taking. If it sits unused for too long, it will disappear until another meteor appears.
- Last player standing will be the victor!
It sounds like there’s going to be a mad dash to that meteor, and after that there will be a scramble for the Gauntlet that shifts into pitched battle against whoever becomes Thanos. Not to mention the rest of the server.
This should get pretty hectic, pretty quickly.
What can I do as Thanos in Fortnite?
Here is your list of abilities:
- Ability 1 — A mighty punch that knocks enemies back and destroys structures.
- Ability 2 — Thanos flies towards the ground, hitting an area for knockback and damage.
- Ability 3 — Harness the energy of the Power stone to fire a blast that deals damage over time.
- Ability 4 — A super-jump that can vault Thanos over all but the largest obstructions.
- Thanos has both shields and health. When he eliminates another player, his shields regenerate. His health never regenerates.
- Thanos doesn’t take fall damage.
- Thanos does not build, use weapons or things like launch pads. He has no need for such petty human devices.
So this actually tells us a good amount of information. Thanos is powerful, and he’s designed to hit hard and take down structures. His shields can regenerate if you kill other players, but his health never comes back. The battle will be determined by the people around him who can stay alive and chip away at his health. He won’t be able to build his structures or use any of the weapons on the field, so these abilities are limitations as much as they’re powers.
Good luck out there.
What loot will be given to fight Thanos in Fortnite?
Thanos may be powerful, but the new loot table is going to give players a fighting chance to take him down. This is how the field will look in terms of loot:
- Only Rare, Epic and Legendary weapons will be spawned.
- Increased chances of treasure chests spawning from 50-70 percent to 80-90 percent.
- Increased chances of ammo boxes spawning from 65-80 percent to 85-95 percent.
- Floor Loot spawns nearly 100 percent of the time.
- Launchpad spawn likelihood greatly increased.
- Harvesting resources doubled.
- Resources found in loot increased from 30 to 60.
- Chug Jug, Port-A-Fort, Boogie Bomb, Slurp Juice, Bush, and Remote Explosives drop rate increased.
- Regular Grenade, Shield & Bandage drop rate lowered.
So shields will be easier to find, as will explosives and sneakier items. Resources will be plentiful with harvesting doubled and resources found in loot going up.
We’ll see you inside.