New Video Producer and Purveyor of 10-cent Words

Jenna punching a pink birthday cake

I don't take sass from cakes.

Hello, everyone! I'm Jenna Stoeber (pronounced Steeber, with a hard e and a capital S), and I'm Polygon's new video producer. I come from an academic background, having earned my Master's Degree from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in Media and Cultural Studies. Mostly that means I have a particularly pedantic purview, and can back it up with MLA citations. You don't see many academics in games journalism yet, so I hope my perspective is at least unique! Specifically I studied horror media and video game cultures, and I look forward to bringing my expertise in both to my work at Polygon.

My favorite horror game is Alien: Isolation, which had its issues but hits all my buttons: female protagonist, retro-futuristic analog technology design, creatures terrifying in multiple ways, great level design and cinematic interludes. The shivering twitching shadows of the Working Joes? Brilliant.

My favorite horror movie is The Wicker Man (1973), a movie that Christopher Lee consistently said was the best movie he ever starred in. Have you seen it? Have you seen it twice? If not, watch it and let me know what you think. Because I think about it. I think about it a lot. I'm thinking about it right now.

Fun Facts:

• I once cosplayed Catwoman (in the style of Darwyn Cooke) for a charity cat adoption drive.
  • In the year leading up to my 30th birthday I gave myself 30 quests to complete, or I didn't get to turn 30. I completed about 12 of them and turned 30 anyway, because I'm very lucky!
  • I get night terrors when I'm particularly stressed out. Last one I had was in December 2017, in which the head of a demon squeezed between the wall and the bed, and sat watching me as I slept (it was actually just a pillow).
  • I'm still thinking about The Wicker Man. I'm always thinking about The Wicker Man.

Follow me on Twitter @thejenna, or in your dreams by whispering my name as your head descends towards your pillow.