MLP 408 "Rarity Takes Manehattan" SPOILERTASTIC Discussion Thread!

Rarity_takes_manehattan_promo_grumpy_cat_medium

Did you catch this? I sure didn't.

It's that time of the week again. Another brand new episode of My Little Pony! And what's this? An episode staring Rarity? I've never heard of such a thing. The last Rarity episode (Sweet and Elite) aired in March 2011. So by popular harassment, here it is!

Well, I liked it. It was particularly regular for a Dave Polsky episode. Usually, he packs his episodes with physical comedy and sight gags. Instead, his first Rarity episode was dialog-focused, which I guess makes sense. My favorite bit was Rainbow's line right before the song about how ridiculous it is when people just break into song during musicals. Not only was that line funny, but it resonated with me because I've been saying the same thing my whole life. My other favorite bit was, or course, sweatshop Rarity. And AJ got to prove why she's the element of honesty!

Sweatshop_medium

Like this but with more ponies.

I swear it seems like they reference the .MOV series (like when Pinkie had fingers) on occasion, but maybe it's just coincidence.

In the end, Rarity learned a good lesson... I think. I still get the feeling that she's sometimes generous because she expects something in return, which isn't how generosity works, but whatever. Rarity's a tricky one anyway. Element of generosity but always concerned with herself. I can see why she was originally inspiration.

So yeah, Rarity episode with a pretty good story. Can't go wrong there! Kind of reminded me of the micro series comic, actually. It felt closer to what they'd used to do back when they'd focus on one character instead of everybody at once, which is what they've been doing lately. Based on the one-sentence summaries I've seen of the next few episodes, they seem to continue that trend.

NEXT WEEK: PINKIE APPLE PIE!