PlayStation 4: A Speculative Wishlist

On February 20th, Sony may be announcing it's plan to move into the 8th Generation of Videogame Consoles with the highly highly anticipated PlayStation 4. Keep in mind, that although nothing has been confirmed, the rumor-mill has been churning at high speed in the last couple of weeks, with more information being leaked about the developmental prototype Orbis than at any other time in the last 12 months.

Whilst no one can doubt that the PlayStation 3 was a massive success, every generation of consoles leaves room for improvement. In this Wishlist, I'll list some things I would want from a PS4 and I'll also ask you what innovations and indiscretions you would like to see in a new PlayStation console and why!

Disclaimer: If you're looking for a console war, please go away. Positive thoughts and ideas welcome!

Ease of Access for Developers

I'm no developer myself, so I cant comment with firsthand experience, but major studios such as Bethesda, Valve, and Activision Blizzard have all voiced criticism of the PS3 with regards to the difficulty of developing content for the machine. I hope that the PS4 is constructed in a fashion that encourages developers to build games for it, by making development as easy as possible. Sony, you're the hardware experts, make sure you build a console that lets the software experts produce amazing games too okay?!

More PS Home

Sony has a problem with innovation; they will think of something really awesome, rush to create it, but the finished product never quite matches the original vision. PlayStation Home, the free social gaming hub on PS3 is a perfect example of this; it's a really clever idea, but it's never been used to such an extent as to which you would think there's any actual point to its being. I think it would be cool if the PS4 integrated Home as the dashboard to its new console, so that the second you turned your console on you would already be embraced in a virtual living room, with simple access to gaming and social features within a press of a few buttons.

Home-space---basic-apartment-screenshot_036_medium

A Good Launch

To quote one journalist: "How do you take one of the most anticipated game consoles of all time and - within the space of a year - turn it into a hate object reviled by the entire internet?". From its announcement to its release, the PS3 was plagued by a strew of failures ranging from Giant Enemy Crabs, compatibility issues and $600 price tags.

Sony's Embarrassing E3 2006 Press Conference (via mothergoat)

When my best friend bought his launch PS3, it launched with no games [in the UK], no network capability, and little charm except being a fancy £500 DVD player. I've recently been informed that the PS4 likely wont be released in the EU until some time after the The US and Japan; so give me a reason to save my pennies and not sink them into Microsoft's offering.

These are a few of my hopes for the next PlayStation console - but what about you?
Feel free to discuss in the comments below!