Ocarina of Time: The Objective Review

Hey there Polynauts,

I hope everybody's having a lovely day. In the comments sections of recent Polygon reviews I've seen many commentators complaining that things like subjectivity and personal opinions have been getting in the way of the staff's ability to present objective reviews. I can't express how much I agree with that sentiment. Sitting around today I was wondering if there may be anybody better qualified to write reviews than these folks at Polygon who seem to struggle so much with objectivity. I've played a couple video games, studied some art, and once wrote a paper so I thought I'd give it a shot. Consider this an audition for the job... To be honest I expect it to result in job offers from multiple games websites. My career as a journalist starts now. I give you...

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a video game. It was developed by Nintendo EAD and published by Nintendo. Ocarina of Time was directed and produced by Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto, Yoichi Yamada, Eiji Aonuma, and Yoshiaki Koizumi are all credited as designers. They are all Japanese males. Koizumi is a graduate of the Visual Concept Planning Department of the Osaka University of Arts. In order to objectively evaluate the merits of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as a video game I have divided this review into several sections which you can read below.

Graphics

There are several graphical assets in Ocarina of Time. Some are green, others are blue, others are many different colors. The graphics are used to depict several different regions in the fictional world of Hyrule. Grassy areas have green graphics while desert sections use a more yellowish hue. There is a model in the game for the titular Ocarina that contains several polygons. The graphics are also used for a user interface which displays the players current health, wealth, a map, and some controls. When a player is targeting an enemy four yellow triangles surround the target. The graphics in Ocarina of Time manage to do all of this while having a frame rate.

Gameplay

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has controls. There are many buttons on the Nintendo 64 controller which, when pressed, will cause something to occur in the game itself. Some amount of customization is allowed as the player can bind different items to the C buttons. The directional pad will allow you to show or hide the map but it is objectively difficult to reach while holding the controller in the manner prescribed for playing the rest of the game. Ocarina of Time does not have a control for jumping. There is probably a good or bad reason for this. Throughout the game the player acquires different items which behave in different ways. The player also learns new moves for existing weapons. All in all Ocarina of Time is a video game that you can indeed play.

Story

In addition to having both graphics and controls, Ocarina of Time has a narrative. The story begins in a place called Kokiri Forest which is inhabited by the Great Deku Tree. After many years of waiting and nearing death the Great Deku Tree sends a fairy, Navi, to summon a young boy who has lived without a fairy companion his entire life. The player has the choice of naming the character whatever he or she wants and, without spoiling too much of the plot, the game will continue to refer to the character by this name for the entire length of the game. I can't really say whether this character is good or evil, but he's probably one or the other.

Music and Sound

Like many other video games Ocarina of Time features both music and sound. The music was composed by Koji Kondo, a Japanese man who has also written the music for several other games. A theme sometimes associated with the rest of the series from previous Zelda games is absent from this game. The music in Ocarina of Time is situational and changes at times depending on what's happening in the game. New music will play, for example, if the main character encounters an enemy. Music also plays another role in the game as the player can play several different melodies on an Ocarina in order to make things happen in the game world. These melodies are played on five tones, D, F, A, B, and the D an octave above the first one. These pitches are used in combination with rhythms to create several different melodies.

Sometimes when something happens in the game a corresponding sound will play.

Summary

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a video game. It has graphics, gameplay, controls, music, sound, and a story to go along with all of that. In order to play it you will need a Nintendo 64, a TV, and some time.