The fourth day of Awesome Games Done Quick (noon today until noon Thursday) includes 23 events, 13 of them featuring a speedrunner currently ranked No. 1 in the world in the event. This is the day when the “Weird Block” of games runs, featuring wacky, unknown or little-played games. Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 kicked off on Sunday and runs through Saturday from Rockville, Maryland. You can watch all of it live, right here.
Below are the games featuring world-record holders (according to speedrun.com) scheduled to appear over the next 24 hours (all times ET).
The full schedule is here.
- 1:31 p.m. TimeSplitters 2 (Copitz and Swoodeasu). Any%, co-op, easy difficulty on PS2. This combination has been No. 1 since June 2017.
- 2:21 p.m. Halo: Reach (WoLfy and Pedrogas). Co-op, legendary difficulty on Xbox One. They’re No. 1 on Haloruns.com, but the only ones as of Dec. 14, too.
- 10:03 p.m. Mega Man X, Mega Man X 2 and Mega Man X 3. Three-player, three-team relay race, Any% on SNES. Competitors are Trogdor, (fifth in X2), ColonelFatso (10th in X2), Tokyo90 (third in Mega Man X), Soppa (sixth in X), Justin-credible (fifth in X3), Luiz Miguel (1st in X3) and Madu (third in X3). For format alone, this prime-time run should be the highlight of the coming day.
At this point, it looks like Awesome Games Done Quick’s traditional “weird block” of exotic, little-played or plain unknown video games is in full swing.
- 1:05 a.m. Mega Man Unlimited (LV Creed) Z-Prototype Any%. This is a fan game for PC.
- 3:55 a.m. Urban Yeti! (PeteDorr). Any% on Game Boy Advance. There are only two runs listed on Speedrun.com, and PeteDorr is first.
- 4:39 a.m. Gordo 106 (janglestorm) Any% on Atari Lynx. According to GDQ VODs, this will be the first Games Done Quick run on a Lynx.
- 5:14 a.m. Mohawk & Headphone Jack (PJ). Any% on SNES. There’s only one Speedrun.com run, ever, for this and it was in 2012.
- 6:09 a.m. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (saintmillion). Beat the game, PSX.
- 7:07 a.m. Dragons Lair: The Legend (sharif). Beat the game (EU) on Game Boy. There are only two runners on the Speedrun.com leaderboard; sharif has been running it since May.
- 7:42 a.m. Sword of Sodan (NPC). Any%, easy on Sega Genesis.
- 8:10 a.m. Férias Frustradas do Pica-Pau (GarbitheGlitcheress). Difficult on Genesis.
- 8:38 a.m. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Iceplug). Any% on SNES. Macaulay Culkin himself played this recently.
- 9:25 a.m. Monkey King (Brossentia). Any% on NES. Brossentia took back 1st place in a tune-up on Jan. 3.
Other runs of note:
- At 4:21 p.m., today, SkyBlueAether runs The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
- At 2:25 a.m. on Thursday, Avoid the Noid — this is not the NES’ Yo! Noid, but a piece of advergaming from 1989 for MS-DOS.
- At 9:03 a.m. Garfield: A Week of Garfield (coolkid). This was a Japan-only release on Famicom, and coolkid’s No. 2 at it. Good thing it’s not a Monday.
- At 10:33 Eriphram starts digging us out of the Weird Block with Metal Gear (Any% on NES) followed at 11:11 a.m. by miniomegaking and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (original difficulty, Big Boss rank).
Because it’s the weird block, four games — Mega Man (DOS fan-game remake) at 1:58 a.m. Thursday, Avoid the Noid, Virtual Hydlide (Gyre) at 2:50 a.m., Trio the Punch: Never Forget Me (ZakkyTheShimmeringKirin) at 9:53 a.m. and Ninja Five-O (just_defend) at 12:21 p.m. Thursday — have no listings on Speedrun.com. Therefore, technically, world records will be set for them at Awesome Games Done Quick 2019.
As always, Awesome Games Done Quick is a round-the-clock affair, so you may have missed something overnight. For that, we recommend checking out the continually updated VOD thread at r/speedrun and the official Games Done Quick channel at YouTube.
Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 benefits the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Last year, this event raised a record $2.2 million for its philanthropy. To give, visit this donations page.