The third step of Genshin Impact’s “Sacred Sakura Cleansing Ritual” world quest line is arguably the longest. In “Cleansing Defilement,” you’ll need to find three shrines to purify. Our Genshin Impact guide will explain where to find the shrines to purify, how to solve the shrine puzzles, and how to finish the quest.
The mysterious shrine maiden, Kazari, will set you off to three areas with no further tips on how to find the shrines. You’ll need to head to Chinju Forest, Araumi, and outside the Kamisato Estate. You do not have to complete these in any particular order.
When you get to the shrine in Araumi, there’s a cube puzzle there that isn’t part of this quest, but it will unlock access to the Waypoint Teleporter and the Domain near Perpetual Mechanical Array boss.
Purifying Chinju Forest (Hayashi of Tanuki in the Forest)
- Head to Chinju Forest and start running through the gates on the path to activate the quest “Hayashi of Tanuki in the Forest.”
- Follow the path until you reach the end. To the west is a shrine with a statue of a big tanuki. Clear out the Hilichurls and talk to the statue.
- Go find the three tanukis. One will appear on the path with the gates and turn into a unlit torch. Hit the torch to reveal the tanuki. Another will appear as a barrel, surrounded by hilichurls on a rock formation. The final tanuki will be hanging out on a rock along the forest path. You’ll need to follow it until it leads you to three unlit torches, in which the middle one is the tanuki. Hit it to finish this step of the quest.
- Claim the Ward given by the big tanuki statue.
- Head to the designated area to have a tanuki open up the cliff to reveal a Torii gate. Just like the previous quests, you’ll need to set the little shrines to the right numbers, and then activate the first shrine. We’ve provided the solution below.
After correctly setting the shrines up, a mini-boss will spawn yet again. After you take it down, Kazari will appear to talk to you about the tanukis.
Below the tidal flats outside the Kamisato Estate
Before you get to the shrine, you’ll need to pick up the Ward. Head to the location below and use the Memento Lens on the glowing small kitsune statuette. After this, use an Electro ability on the large kitsune statue to get the Ward.
Head over to the island we marked on the map below and use the Memento Lens on the small glowing kitsune statuette in the hole.
You’ll drop down into a cavern with the Torii gate, but it’s filled with Electro energy, forcing you to take damage. Use the Electrogranum scattered around the cave to protect yourself.
Activate the shrine using a ward and set the small shrines to the following numbers:
After activating the shrine, two mini-bosses will spawn, which can be annoying because of the constant Electro damage you’ll be taking. Keep grabbing Electrogranum and keep your health up with any shields and heals you have.
Head to Araumi, where there’s many crumbling ruins and contraptions that require Electro. You’ll need to activate four Electro pillars in order to unlock the mechanism near the tower ruins. We’ve marked where the pillars are below.
Activate the mechanism and climb into the destroyed tower. Use the Memento Lens on the three glowing kitsune statuettes and activate the mechanisms that appear behind them. This will take you into a cavern.
Use the Memento Lens again on the glowing kitsune statuette right near the entrance to make an Electrogranum appear. Pick up the Electrogranum and run through the Electro barrier. Use an Electro skill on the kitsune statue and pick up the Ward.
Head back to the Torii gate and place the Ward in the shrine to start the puzzle. The two shrines in the back are actually disguised as kitsune statuettes, so use the Mementos Lens on them to reveal the necessary shrines. Activate the shrines as shown below.
As should be expected at this point, a mini-boss spawns once you correctly complete the puzzle.
After finishing all three of these shrines, Paimon will note that you should head back to the well to meet up with Kazari. This will start the final part of this quest line, “Yougou Cleansing.”