It’s possible to romance companions in Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader, giving you some down time between exploring undiscovered corners of the universe and hewing to your mission of expanding the God-Emperor’s dominance.
As Rogue Trader story unfolds, you have the opportunity to recruit allies to assist you. While you can’t engage in flirtatious dialogues with all of them, the few available are quite unique and offer you special scenes once you convince them of your feelings.
In this Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader guide, we’ll detail the companions you can romance, plus show you how to romance those companions.
All Rogue Trader Romance Options
As make your way through the story of Rogue Trader, you can recruit more companions to your crews. Though we haven’t successfully tracked down all the characters you can romance, we know you can romance the following:
- Cassia Orsellio
- Heinrix van Calox
- Jae Heydari
- Yrliet Lanaevyss
- Marazhai Aezyrraesh
How romance works in Rogue Trader
First of all, while romance exists in Rogue Trader, it is quite different from other games like Baldur’s Gate 3 in which characters openly discuss their relationship in very explicit dialogue. The world of Rogue Trader is a world of suspicion, political intrigue, and treason. Because of that, it’s not always clear that one dialogue option will unfurl into a more flirtatious one.
The rule of thumb to romance in this game is to carefully read each dialogue option. Take into consideration also the kind of ideas and beliefs characters follow and go for dialogue options that might represent them.
Another important aspect of romance in Rogue Trader is that you can’t force romantic interactions. The dialogue options don’t change frequently in the game, so after your first time saying how beautiful Cassia is, it takes a while until you can have a little bit more action. Moments of intimacy between characters are events randomly triggered during the game. You might be traveling to another system and a scene begins where one of your romantic partners appears in your room or requests a private conversation.
Can you romance multiple companions in Rogue Trader?
Lastly, yes, you can romance more than one character in Rogue Trader at the same time. The only limitation is regarding gender. Although a couple of characters will engage in a romantic relationship with male and female characters, others won’t. They might give you the chance to flirt with them, but they won’t necessarily accept you as their partner.
With all that in mind, here’s how to romance companions in Rogue Trader.
How to romance Cassia in Rogue Trader
Cassia Orsellio is the first character you can recruit to your crew in Chapter 1. To do so, you need to complete the “Secrets of the Navis Nobilite” quest, which itself is part of the “Looking for Trouble” quest. During the quest, you need to convince her that she should come aboard your voidship. Regardless of the method you choose, she ends up accepting.
After completing the quest and going through a scene in which you talk to Cassia about a ritual, it’s time to make your move. Once you’re in the ship’s deck, go talk to Cassia who is in the south part of the map.
To romance Cassia, be sure to be a male Rogue Trader. Then, talk to her and choose the dialogue options listed below:
- “Tell me about yourself.”
- “Sorry, Cassia, but I would like to know more about you personally, not your family.”
- “Your third eye — do you always conceal it?”
- “You are beautiful, Cassia. Do not let anyone or anything convince you otherwise.”
- “I would not date to make fun of a lady’s feelings, especially not one who has captivated me since I first set eyes on her.”
And that’s it! If you finish the conversation and choose the “Why don’t we talk about something else?” option, you will get back to the first list of dialogue options and you will see a new one saying “Let’s talk about us, shall we?” This indicates that now you have a romantic relationship with Cassia.
How to romance Heinrix in Rogue Trader
In Chapter 1, you will find Heinrix van Calox during the “Gleam of the Final Dawn” quest. Once you’re in the monastery, explore the initial rooms to find the Interrogator of the Ordo Xenos. Xeinrix will only begin a romantic relationship with a female Rogue Trader.
After the fight against Aurora, the dialogue options you must pick are:
- [Lore (Xenos)] [Inspect the control panel damaged by Aurora]
- [Dogmatic] “Heinrix, take a look over here. Is this by any chance what you are looking for?”
The first option is a test and succeeding in it is fundamental to open the fourth dialogue line. When this conversation is over, head back to the voidship where a scene with Heinrix going to talk to you will begin.
In this next conversion, you need to choose the following dialogue options:
- “Thank you. The Inquisition’s generosity is greatly appreciated.”
- “Conversing with you is no less disconcerting for me, Master van Calox.”
- “You misunderstand me. I am not unnerved by your status, but by you personally.”
How to romance Jae in Rogue Trader
You can recruit Jae Heydari during Chapter 2, and you can romance her as either a male or female Rogue Trader. To unlock her as a companion, you must first finish the “Persona Non Grata” and “Wanted on Footfall” quests. Some dialogue choices you make during these two quests are significantly important to have her in your crew and having the chance to romance her. Doing so unlocks her as a possible companion.
During the “Persona Non Grata” quest, you should choose the following dialogue options:
- “What do you need help with?”
- “I suspect that Vladaym wants to keep the cargo out of your hands. And I want to put him in his place.”
Here are the dialogue options you should pick in the “Wanted on Footfall” quest, after the battle:
- “Jae Heydari, the owner of this cargo, is presently under my protection — under a Rogue Trader’s protection. Tell your master that he should think twice before crossing her from now on.”
- “A Rogue Trader could use someone with your talents and connections, Jae. I would like to see you in my retinue.”
- “I wish we could forget decorum entirely in each other’s presence…”
Now that Jae is part of your crew, you can find her on the voidship bridge. Talk to her for the first time and choose the following dialogue options:
- “Was there some business you wished to discuss?”
- “A truly wonderful gift. I accept it with gratitude.”
- “Go on.”
- “That sounds simple enough. I will help you.”
Once this conversation is over, you can go back to the voidship bridge and talk to her again. Here are the dialogue lines you need to use:
- “You don’t look like a typical smuggler.”
- “Why did you choose to come to the Koronus Expanse?”
- “How did you escape from Efreet?”
- “Judging by your implants, you’ve had quite a few close shaves over the years.”
- “Thank you for sharing this.”
- “You must forgive my prying, but has the esteemed princess’s heart been claimed by some lucky fellow?”
- “I enjoy being with you. I would like us to spend more time together.”
- “I do not see you as a toy. I just like you…”
- [Drop to one knee] “My dazzling one, can I trust that you hold in your heart at least the smallest drop of regard for me?”
- “I am inviting you to dinner. Over some decent wine. I’m sure we shall find a fertile topic of conversation.”
With that, you can find a new dialogue option when talking to Jae that says “We need to discuss what is going on between us,” making your relationship official.
How to romance Yrliet in Rogue Trader
Among the possible romanceable companions, Yrliet Lanaevyss is one of the most difficult to establish a relationship. She is a xenos. Many dialogue options that work with other companions will end any chances you had with her. Besides, her affection toward you is shown very subtly, so it’s easy to misread situations and pick the wrong dialogue options. On the other hand, she is one of the few romanceable characters you can romance as a male or female rogue trader.
To romance her, it’s key to get the initial conversations right. After recruiting her in Chapter 2, go talk to her on the voidship bridge and be sure to go with the “The Chaos Gods are the enemies of the Imperium, which means they are my enemies. You can be sure of that” option when talking about ‘She Who Thirsts’. This will make Yrliet start to respect you.
The second step in romancing Yrliet is completing the “Aeldari in Distress” quest. During the warp jumps, as you progress through the quest, Yrliet will come to talk to you. This is a brief conversation and here are the dialogue options you must choose:
- “My people have behaved contemptibly, and I apologise for it.”
- “I shall speak to my subjects. You will not be bothered again.”
Later, talk to her on the voidship bridge. You must use the dialogue option that begins with “I have been mulling over our conversation, and I can understand why you do not like people.”
As you progress with the “Aeldari in Distress” quest, Yrliet eventually talks to you between travels. Here is how you must respond during this conversation:
- “You have my complete attention.”
- [Close your eyes, empty your mind, and speak the word] “Li-lae-than…”
- “I think I’m beginning to understand.”
- “Thank you for telling me how you see the world.”
- “I also see something greater in the world around me, something deeper than the outer guise of things.”
- “I see the suffering of those around me, and it compels me to act.”
- “To me you are a foreign yet beguiling world, Yrliet. I hope that one day I will come to know you. And on that day, my own world will become much deeper.”
Now that you have established a solid relationship with Yrliet, you will have more conversations with her. Yrliet won’t accept physical intimacy so most of the time you will talk to her.
In Chapter 3, an important event takes place and it’s key that you forgive Yrliet to keep progressing the relationship with her.
How to romance Marazhai in Rogue Trader
Marazhai Aezyrraesh is a complicated character and starting a relationship with him requires you to accept some of his whims. Marazhai romances male and female rogue traders and the process to call his attention begins right after he accepts the offer of joining your group.
This character is unlocked in Chapter 3 and after the arena fight where he joins you, the “Suspicious Absence” quest begins. Go to the Pit to complete the mission and when talking to Ulfar and Argenta, among the dialogue options you have, pick the “I did not save Marazhai’s life so you could take matters into your own hands! Put your weapons away, all of you!”.
After this scene, a new conversation begins now only with Marazhai. As you talk to him, choose the following dialogue options:
- “What do you need?”
- “Very well. Should we encounter Yremeryss at any point, I shall allow you to deal the final blow.”
- [Look at what the plate was covering]
- “Your armour is held on with hooks that dig into your body?”
- [Nod wordlessly]
Once you’re back to your ship and warp jump for the first time after Marazhai joined the group, the Vox Master Vigdis talks to you about an emergency at the officers’ deck. Choose the “I am going to the officers’ deck immediately” option to start the “Soulless” mission. Find Marazhai and bring him to his senses. After he answers you back, choose the “Marazhai! Behind you!” option when talking to him. A battle will start and it’s key to keep Marazhai alive. With all the enemies defeated, a new conversation begins in which you must pick the following options:
- “Marazhai, are you sure you have regained your senses?”
- “Your presence is causing me a great deal of grid, xenos.”
- “I shall grant you hunting grounds, Marazhai. A bay on the lower decks. You can do whatever your heart desires down there, but you are not to leave its bounds during warp jumps.”
Finish the conversation and talk to him on the voidship bridge to complete the quest.
It might take a few warp jumps, but eventually, Marazhai appears in your office, talking about something he promised you. In this conversation, go with the following dialogue options:
- “What do you mean by ‘feast’?”
- “Please, Marazhai, be my guide.”
From this point, you have access to intimate scenes with Marazhai.