In this Hitman 3 guide, we’ll walk you through the “Means, Motive and Opportunity” Mission Story in Dartmoor during the “Death in the Family” Mission. Below, we’ve got maps showing where to start, important items to find, where every clue is, and every location you’ll need to visit. We’ll also walk you through the end of the Mission as well.
Means, Motive and Opportunity
From the Main Road entrance, duck into the bushes on the right. Make your way up toward the gate, and listen to Phineas Witmer as he greets the guards to start “Means, Motive and Opportunity.”
Jump the low wall, and stick to the bushes along the right of the path as you follow Witmer to the front door of Thornbridge Manor.
Dodge the guards, and climb through the window to the right of the front door. You’ll be in a hallway, but no one will bother you there.
Wait for the detective to make his way inside. He’ll walk over to this hall and pass directly in front of you. Grab him, subdue him, and stuff him in the wardrobe along the right side.
Follow Mr. Fernsby
Put on the Private Investigator disguise and head back to the Foyer to wait. Alexa Carlisle will arrive in a few seconds. Speak to her, and then follow Mr. Fernsby to the crime scene.
Investigate Zachary’s bedroom
Head into Zachary’s Room to search for clues. All six clues are:
- Along the right, pick up Zachary’s Suicide Note from the table in front of the fireplace.
- Continue along to investigate Zachary’s laptop in the northwest corner.
- In the center of the room, use your camera to scan Zachary’s body.
- Scan the whisky on his bedside table.
- In the southeast corner, use Instinct to find a highlighted book. Pull it to open a hidden door into a Secret Room.
- Inside, pick up the Mansion Floor Plan from in front of the one-way glass.
Ask Mr. Fernsby for more information
Head back to Mr. Fernsby in the Foyer. Ask him for more information. He’ll hand you a list of suspects. You’ll get a new objective to question suspects and search locations of interest. In your Intel menu, you’ll find the people and locations we’ll need to check out. We’ll start with locations.
Emma and Gregory’s Room
Emma and Gregory’s Room is in the southwest of Level 1. The door in is locked, though, so head into the bathroom right next door. Climb out through the window, and shimmy along the ledge to the right until you reach the balcony attached to their room.
There are four clues to find here:
- The Letter from Emma’s Mother is on the bedside table.
- The Walking Cane is leaning against the fireplace on the other side of the room.
- The Greenhouse Key Chain is under some luggage near the fireplace.
- Use your camera to scan the shoes and footprints in the northwest corner.
You’ll drop the walking cane any time you do anything else, but keep it with you. We’ll need it in a minute.
With the cane in hand, head out the door and down the hall to the right. Continue past the bodyguard and housekeeper flirting in the hall, and then make a sharp left. Use Instinct to find a switch in the floor. Use the walking cane from Emma and Gregory’s Room to open a new Secret Room.
Inside, pick up Montgomery’s Long Lost Letter.
Before you continue over to Rebecca’s Room in the northeast corner of Level 1, head to the door to the Small Office along the north side first — Rebecca’s door is locked. You’ll be trespassing here, so use Instinct to see when it’s safe to go in.
Use the walking cane to subdue the lawyer and bodyguard inside, and stuff them into the chest in the office. Retrieve the walking cane, and investigate the lawyer’s laptop.
Be careful how long you spend here, though, because Alexa Carlisle and a bodyguard will show up at some point.
Along the east wall, look for another book to pull that opens another hidden door into another Secret Room. Pass through that Secret Room and into Rebecca’s Room.
There are only two clues to find in Rebecca’s Room:
- In the center of the room, investigate Rebecca’s laptop.
- Use your camera to scan the notebook in front of the fireplace.
Head all the way to the west of the grounds to the Greenhouse. Continue around to the back to find a couple groundskeepers talking. Pick up the crowbar near them.
Take the crowbar back to the front door (the workers will hear you if you break in through the back). Wait for the guard to wander off, and break in.
There are two clues to find inside:
- Take a right, and you’ll spot the Lab Equipment.
- Use your camera to scan the poison dosage table.
(There’s a wrench out on the fountain in the center of the Garden that lets your repair the distillation kit. When it’s fixed, grab the poisonous flowers nearby to produce poison, and pick up your lethal poison vial. You won’t need that for this Mission Story, but it’s good to have options.)
You’ll also find the boat key inside that unlocks one of your exits.
Mr. Fernsby’s Office
From the Greenhouse, head back through the Garden toward Thornbridge Manor. On your way in, head up the stairs on the right (south) side toward the Sitting Room. On the landing, use your camera to scan the footprints (which match the ones from Emma and Gregory’s Room).
Inside the Sitting Room, cut to the north side and scan the Portrait of Montgomery Carlisle. We’re going to skip the rest of the Sitting Room for now, though.
Continue through the house to the northeast corner to find Mr. Fernsby’s Office. The door is locked, but you can pry it open with your crowbar (from the Greenhouse) without getting caught.
There are three clues inside:
- Mr. Fernsby’s List is on his desk.
- Zachary’s Half-Burnt Diary is in the fireplace.
- Across the room, grab the Lethal Poison Pill Jar from the windowsill.
(Grab the Mansion Master Key while you’re in here — you won’t need it, but it’s good to have. And now you know where to find it next time.)
We’re going to do a sweep of Level 0 to question all the suspects. We’ll include the rooms where you can find them.
- Back in the Sitting Room, ask Gregory Carlisle for his alibi.
- Also in the Sitting Room, ask Emma Carlisle for her alibi. At this point, you’ll discover she’s probably the murderer. Ask her about Zachary and any suspicious behavior as well.
- Head south to the Trophy Room. Ask Rebecca Carlisle for her alibi, about Zachary, and any suspicious activity.
- In the Trophy Room, use your camera to scan the paperwork on the table.
- From the Trophy Room, head east to the Library. Ask Patrick Carlisle for his alibi, about Zachary, and any suspicious activity.
- Head north to the Staff Room and ask Rosie (the housekeeper Patrick was out with) about Patrick and about suspicious activity. (She’ll also implicate Emma.)
- Head for the Dining Room in the northwest corner of Level 0. Ask Professor Edward Carlisle about his alibi, about Zachary, and any suspicious activity.
- Use your camera to scan the speech on the Dining Room table.
Report to Mr. Fernsby
Head back to the Foyer when you’re done questioning the suspects. Talk to Mr. Fernsby to conclude the investigation.
Follow him up to Alexa Carlisle’s Office. Sit when she offers, and make your accusation. This will complete “Means, Motive and Opportunity.” (Using this guide will also complete the House Cleaning Discovery Challenge.)
After your conversation, you can ask Alexa for the Case File as your reward.
When she heads out onto the balcony for privacy, follow her out. Give her a shove and quickly make your way out.